Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

K-Mart Finds Malware...Sept.-Oct Shoppers CCs Compromised-Stolen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Kmart Investigating Payment System Breach

October 10, 2014

- Kmart

On Thursday, Oct. 9, 2014 our IT team detected that our Kmart store payment data system had been breached and immediately launched a full investigation working with a leading IT security firm. The security experts report that beginning in early September, the payment data systems at Kmart stores were purposely infected with a new form of malware (similar to a computer virus). This resulted in debit and credit card numbers being compromised.

Based on the forensic investigation to date, no personal information, no debit card PIN numbers, no email addresses and no social security numbers were obtained by those criminally responsible. There is also no evidence that kmart.com customers were impacted. This data breach has been contained and the malware has been removed. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our members and customers.

It’s important to note that the policies of the credit card companies state that customers have zero liability for any unauthorized charges if they report them in a timely manner.

The privacy and security of our customers’ information is of utmost importance to us, and we are committed to doing everything we can to safeguard our customers’ information in the face of a recent surge of data attacks. To further protect our members and customers who shopped with a credit or debit card in our Kmart stores during the month of September through yesterday (Oct. 9, 2014), Kmart will be offering free credit monitoring protection.

Given the criminal nature of this attack, Kmart is working closely with federal law enforcement authorities, our banking partners as well as security experts in this ongoing investigation.

I want our customers to be aware of the situation and I suggest that customers carefully review and monitor their credit and debit card account statements. If customers see any sign of suspicious activity, they should immediately contact their card issuer. More guidance is also available on our website, kmart.com and customers can contact our customer care center at 888-488-5978.

Sincerely,

Alasdair James

President and Chief Member Officer

Kmart

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

So, I wonder who's gonna be hit next?

Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#3 Lehr

Lehr

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Best buy or subway seeing as both places have people using their credit cards casually for low cost purchases. (Or large cost)

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

The question would be is Kmart PCI compliant?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users