Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there an official Microsoft Update for Windows 8 download link

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fromto

Fromto

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

Do you guys know if there an official Microsoft Update for Windows 8 download link? I couldn't seem to find it. Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

Are you have problems getting updates?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Fromto

Fromto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

I recently downloaded a program called Secunia PSI on the advice from the experts of the Spyware/Trojan removal forum. This program told me that Microsoft Update isn't installed on my PC.. which is pretty strange since I'm able to access the Windows Update section from the Control Panel.

#4 Fromto

Fromto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

By the way, speaking of updates, MRT.exe (Windows Malicious Removal Tool) seems to always be an important update that is installed automatically every single day on my Windows 8 PC. Is this normal? 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

I did a search and ran across an article on Secunia.  The author of this article experienced problems with Windows updates after installing this program.  

For those interested in reading this article you can find it at KrebsonSecurity.

Another member "newbleeping" has experienced the same type of problem in Window 7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

By the way, speaking of updates, MRT.exe (Windows Malicious Removal Tool) seems to always be an important update that is installed automatically every single day on my Windows 8 PC. Is this normal? 

Sorry about not addressing this in my last post.

Microsoft releases a new version of this tool the second Tuesday of every month.  So the answer would be yes, this is normal.

#7 Fromto

Fromto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for answering. I have a question. Since a new version of the tool is released on the second Tuesday of every month, is it normal for this to appear every single day? I just want to double check because if that is the case this shouldn't be appearing every single day.

private_win_update_1.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

Can you take a screenshot of the message and post it here?

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

Do you guys know if there an official Microsoft Update for Windows 8 download link?

I do know that you can purchase Windows 8, like all of us have already done ...........

Once installed, you can then complete all of the other required Windows 8 Updates.

#10 Fromto

Fromto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

Can you take a screenshot of the message and post it here?

Sorry for being so vague. Today, something else occurred: the "1 important update" (Windows Malicious Removal Tool) is no longer stated. I've taken a screenshot of my update history instead, hope it helps.

private_win_update_2.png

#11 Fromto

Fromto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

Do you guys know if there an official Microsoft Update for Windows 8 download link?

I do know that you can purchase Windows 8, like all of us have already done ...........

Once installed, you can then complete all of the other required Windows 8 Updates.

I'm using Windows 8. The "Microsoft Update" I'm referring to is this, but apparently the link is for Windows Vista: https://fe1.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?ln=en-US 

#12 Fromto

Fromto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:26 AM

Hi dc3, have you figured out the cause behind this? Could this be related to a malware problem..?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

I would assume that if this is the case the original problem has been resolved.

#14 Fromto

Fromto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for your help. A slew of 13 security updates just came in from Microsoft (but the MRT.exe update is still there). Hope there's some improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users