Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues After Using Fix Me Stick

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rebelred

rebelred

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:09 PM

I was wanting to talk about fixme stick ans see if anyone has ever had a problem with the program infecting a pc. Mine was running fine, just slow, ran their program, machine crashed and woulod not reboot at first. FInally got to reboot but ALL if my files were suddently infected by something similar to cryptolocker asking for a ransom. I immeditaley asked fixme stick about it and was sent a loing right awsay to the crooks that wnated $500 for me to purchase a key to unlock my files or decrpt them, STRANGE how fast it all happened and how they had the immedite solution,YEt NO hap after when I said I would notpay the ransom. It was almost too weird , It sounds a bit suspicious. I asked a tech who was trying to assist me in fixing my pc and he said it was all TOO CONVENIENT TO HIM as well. Just FYI, Also does anyone know how I might fet my files back I had some backed up nut most were not as this was a laptop I had retired until about 3 months ago. I brought it out and ran al of my Malwarebytes antimalware and super bug anmd it had Mc on it, It was doing fine until I inseted the USB.Any help again with files I would appreciate.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 October 2014 - 09:51 AM.
split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551393/hello/ moved from Intros to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FixMeStick-Support

FixMeStick-Support

Authorized FixMeStick Rep

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hi,

I am an engineer at FixMeStick and we are committed to assisting our customers in removing malware and would be happy to help you.

The FixMeStick does not infect PCs but removes malware. Malicious files are not kept on the device and the FixMeStick is write protected to prevent malware from entering into the FixMeStick.

If you could submit a support ticket at support.fixmestick.com an agent will get in touch with you directly and assist you from there.

Best,

FixMeStick Team

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

I was wanting to talk about fixme stick ans see if anyone has ever had a problem with the program infecting a pc...ALL if my files were suddently infected by something similar to cryptolocker asking for a ransom...

Crypto malware, like other forms of ransomware, is typically spread through social engineering. It can be disguised in email attachments which appear to be legitimate correspondence from reputable companies such as banks and Internet providers or UPS or FedEx with tracking numbers. US-CERT advises there have been reports that some victims encounter the malware after clicking on a malicious link within an email or following a previous infection from botnets such as Zbot/Z-bot (Zeus) which downloads and executes the ransomware as a secondary payload from infected websites. Other types or crypto malware have been reported to spread via browser exploit kits and drive-by downloads when visiting compromised web sites.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users