Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi with cable connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

I have charter internet with a direct cable connection for my desktop.Is there anyway

or program that I can get wifi for my wifes laptop.Of course I want this to be legal,just

wondering if this is possible.Thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Can you not just get a wireless router and contect it to your cable modem

Edited by JohnWJ, 11 October 2014 - 09:36 AM.

John

An Australian Living in the USA

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Plugging in a router with wireless capability to the modem is one solution that is most common.

Once you have the wireless router you will be able to plug in the desktop directly to the router and

your wife's laptop will be able to access the router without using a cable connection....wireless.

A few examples of wireless routers: Routers: Amazon.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks guys for the response,I never thought of a wireless router,probably should have googled for an answer.

Will give it a try.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

Once you have a router, you will want to secure it. Make sure the router's firewall is active and

create your own password...replace the generic one for the router.

One source: 5 Ways to Secure Your Wireless Router | PCMag.com

Another:  How to secure your home wireless network router.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thank-you,will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users