Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Solution to remove GoSave

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 james_logan

james_logan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

I have been reading various posts about how to remove GoSave. It is that annoying internet browser that inserts ads into webpages.

I first tried all the advice given under the posts I found on this forum - that is AVG2015, AdwCleaner, Farbar, Malwarebytes, you name it. 

None removed it. 

When I opened Chrome .. click on the three horizontal lines on upper right ... click on Tools ... select Extensions - I would see the Gosave Extension there. 

Deleting it didn't help - it would return. 

Check the Developer Mode checkbox - this shows the location of GoSave in the AppData folder

In the end the solution was very simple. 

1. from the Control Panel, uninstall GoSave from the uninstall programs option 

2. In ProgramData - delete the GoSave folder

3. In ProgramFiles - delete the GoSave folder

4. In C:\Users\..repeat for each user...\Appdata\...repeat for each browser(google, IE, etc)...\Chrome\UserData\Default\Extensions\..GoSave has installed one or more folders here with folder names that are not clear, a bunch of letters, delete these. 

only when you delete the folders from the Extensions folder will GoSave be removed. 

Edited by Budapest, 12 October 2014 - 02:51 AM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

Our standard reply that should go with the removal of these type of problem ...............

NOTE :

With most Adware / Junkware / PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration.

After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.

Now, make sure you reset your Home Page back to your original page

#3 james_logan

james_logan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Others have found that simply uninstalling the program doesn't solve the problem. Using Adwclearner, as well as other programs recommended on this forum such as Farbar, also don't solve the problem. If you don't delete the GoSave Extensions folder from the AppData folder, it will remain. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

noknojon did not say uninstalling the program would fully resolve the problem. That step should be performed first because it not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find. These tools typically find and remove related files and folders to include those within the AppData folder and elsewhere.

If issues still persist the next step is to check browser extensions, and it some cases to reset the browser settings back to default.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 The Tech Gods

The Tech Gods

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hi! I've been a bleepingcomputer user for years, but this is the first time I was actually prompted to create an account. 

James_logan's initial response is dead on. You can try the GoSave uninstaller a hundred times and it will never work -- nor will any of the standard "3rd party uninstallers" such as CCleaner... They all just stop about halfway through and never finish. 

None of the bleepingcomputer tools even noticed GoSave on the computer (Combofix, AdWCleaner, JunkwareRemovalTool) nor did any other scanners that I ran (AVG, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials). 

That said, James' steps worked for me (or at least, some version of them). I didn't quite find it in the Extensions folder, but there were 4 folders in the top level AppData folders with gibberish names, installed on the same day as GoSave, so I moved those to a "Manual Quarantine" folder (just in case) and voila! All fixed. 

This was, of course, after manually deleting every registry entry with the words "GoSave" in it. 

So, since it took me quite some time to find this great little tutorial, and I literally spent HOURS trying to fight it before finding this, I thought I'd come here and see if I can't help others find it in the future.

This is definitely THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE GOSAVE.

That's right... This is HOW TO REMOVE GOSAVE.

GoSave... gosave... GOSAVE (just in case there's case-sensitivity in the searches). 

In case you're wondering HOW DO I REMOVE GOSAVE -- this is it. :-)

I think I've dropped enough keywords. My job is done here. Thanks James!!

#6 james_logan

james_logan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

Glad you found it worked for you! 

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hi! I've been a bleepingcomputer user for years, but this is the first time I was actually prompted to create an account.

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users