Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. I need to connect two desktop PCs using ONLY crossover cable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SlowBoat2England

SlowBoat2England

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:51 AM

I’ve been looking for days (over a week now) for a solution to my problem. What I want to do is this:

Share internet from Computer A to Computer B with only a crossover Ethernet cable. No router, no wired hub, just the cable. Both are Windows 7 computers.

I’ve had it set up this way for almost a year, but Computer A’s hard drive recently crashed and I’ve had to replace it with another computer and I lost the instructions that I used before to set it up like this. Here’s what I remember from those instructions, if this will help:

Computer A: (Internet connected PC): One of the ipv’s was set to an IP Address of 192.168.137.1

Computer B: One of the ipv’s was set to 1:2:3:4:5:6:7:8

And I remember having to go into Windows firewall and allow some connection. I think there was an issue with this as well where I had to go in to some settings to even make it show the option to allow the connection?

I think I may also have had to go into my broadband modem and make adjustments as well, cannot remember what I did there.

Someone might ask why I want this sort of setup. The reason is this: I cannot use my router because I connect to a VPN for work over Computer B, and the VPN will not allow me to connect with the model of router I have. Also, I don’t have time to go buy a wired hub even if that would work.

This seems like it would be easy for some of you gurus, so please can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 11 October 2014 - 09:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

Try this ... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/connect-two-pcs-using-windows-7-with-a-crossover/c20b6d8e-dd9a-4221-aaec-2db9721021a5 .

#3 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:00 AM

I once had this type of connection but for the internet to be available to the second pc  a second network card i installed in the pc.. connected to the internet.

In the pc one card connected to the internet and the second nic connected to the other pc..both have the same workgroup name.sort the ip addresses to

192.168 network  go to local area connection R/click click properties. check network settings.i don't recommend homegroup setting..

Life is much simplier if you have a ethernet switch just plug in the network leads and your away in no time and on line..

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,269 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

How old is your hardware? Most newer NICs don't require crossover cables -- they will auto-sense the connection and reconfigure themselves accordingly if a crossover cable is required. http://www.networkworld.com/article/2219416/lan-wan/do-you-need-a-crossover-cable-.html

If you have cable crimpers, you can just make a crossover cable. http://www.tested.com/tech/705-how-to-make-your-own-crossover-network-cable/

#5 SlowBoat2England

SlowBoat2England
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm checking some of those links.

To Johnebadbak, I should have mentioned in my original question that yes I do have the second network card and was using that for the last year for this connection. Everything is the same as when I had it working except I changed out Computer A (internet connected PC) and have forgotten what settings I used. Can you give more info on what the Ip addresses should be on each computer? And if it's ipv 4 or 6 on each? Thanks.

Sflatechguy,

I have a crossover cable. Same one that's been on it when it was working before my harddrive crashed. My systems are pretty old (6-8 years) and they do need the crossover. Thanks for the help though.

SlowBoat

#6 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

found this  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

other one is   http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-an-internet-connection-in-windows-7.html

its so long sinc i use this setup static  192.168.0.1   for the network adapter in the host pc and automatic for the other

also the default gateway in that setting as well being the internet service provider setting

Edited by johnebadbak, 12 October 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

"192.168.137.1" is a windows 7 ICS ip address.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-an-internet-connection-in-windows-7.html

The downstream pc's nic is set to autoassigned and will get a 192.168.137.x ip address which will allow it to use the main host for internet access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users