Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death... Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Khaines0625

Khaines0625

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

Hey,

My computer has had a stuck power button for some time now.  It operates as a button that depresses and then pops back up when you let off.  Today it didnt pop back up, it stayed down.  The computer powered off and when i powered it back on it at first said that the primary BIOS had crashed and that the backup BIOS was restoring it.  It did that succesfully but now i get the BSOD every time with this code:

Stop: oxoooooo7B (0xFFFFF88009A97E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034,0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I've tried windows repair, Restoring computer from a previous point, CHKDSK /F(which strangely told me that it couldnt do it because it was an NTFS filesystem and then i did a "read only" check using the CHKDSK command with no /F) and I even removed the CMOS and let it set for 20 minutes and popped it back in... all to no effect.

I havent tried reinstalling windows but id really like to keep my data so thats a last restort.

Note:  I have not changed or added any hard drives or made any hardware modifications for a long time.  I did not download any driver updates recently(not manually anyway)

Windows 7, Intel icore5... 8gb RAM, frankly dont remember the exact specs but if you want to know more ask.

Thanks for any help you may give me.

Edited by Khaines0625, 10 October 2014 - 09:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

Today it didnt pop back up, it stayed down.

That's your problem. Your Power-On switch broke and is shorting out. Replace it and that will take care of the problem. Do not reformat or reinstall Windows, that will not help.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Today it didnt pop back up, it stayed down.

That's your problem. Your Power-On switch broke and is shorting out. Replace it and that will take care of the problem. Do not reformat or reinstall Windows, that will not help.

Well it is possible i was unclear.  It does pop back up now. It just was sticky and temporarilyy got stuck down.  It does get power to the computer.  But im not sure what switch it is you are talking about or how I would replace it?

Edited by Khaines0625, 10 October 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

The computer on/off button is a momentary switch; unlike a normal toggle switch, it releases after starting the computer. This enables an operator to force an emergency shutdown by holding the switch down for a few seconds. When you were booting the computer and the switch stuck down and would not release it may have sent a "start-stop" signal to the computer that caused problems. I assume that the computer was operating perfectly before this happened, please correct me if I am wrong.  This switch can be replaced, but how difficult that is will depend on your computer setup. If you have a store-bought computer it just depends on how they set it up; commercial retail units are notorious for building as economically as possible and can incorporate several components in a single complex bundle. If you have a home-built unit it is much easier to work on and replace components.

Please supply the following information:

>When you press the power button, does the computer show the normal POST screen, and do you hear a beep from the internal speaker (not your external stereo speakers)?

>If your answer is yes to the above question, does your blue screen show as soon as it begins to boot into Windows and goes no further?

>Try to boot into Safe Mode; what happens?

>Try to boot into the BIOS screen; what happens? Note: make no changes in this screen, just see if you can access it.

>If you have very critical data on this computer I suggest you try to pull that data off before we go any further. If you regularly make complete backups of your hard drive this is not necessary, you can just restore and be back to normal in a few minutes.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thank you for the responses,

The computer was working just fine before all this.  I bought the PC from cyberpowerpc.com, so its kind of a mix of different parts.  I know the box is a Cmstorm.

>When i push the power button it shows the usual "GIGABYTE" yada yada screen that it always has that has option to get into the BIOS and such, i assume this is what you mean by "POST screen" and i do hear a beep.

>It goes to where it says "Starting Windows" and the little window animation is dancing with the dots of color that swirl into the windows logo but as it start it freezes and then the BSOD appears.

>Frankly I dont know how to boot into safe mode... I havent seen that option anywhere.

>I can get into the BIOS screen.

>I dont have data that is EXTREMELY critical but it would be sad to lose it.  How would I pull it off if i cant get to windows anyway?

One other interesting thing is that before it goes into the Starting Windows screen it shows a blinking underline, like one that you would see if you were going to type into something, it quickly drops down a few lines and then disappears, then it goes into the Starting Windows screen.  Im pretty sure I havent seen this before.

Thanks again, My compuer is my sole source of entertainment and where almost all of my homework is done :(.

Edited by Khaines0625, 11 October 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

To boot into Safe Mode in Windows 7, turn on your computer and repeatedly tap the F8 button until the startup options menu opens.

Then select either Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (the latter is preferred).

Then tell us if your computer successfully boots all the up into Windows in Safe Mode, or if you still experience a BSOD.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Sometimes the F key number will vary depending on the BIOS that the manufacturer used, so try them all if F8 doesn't work.

If you want to pull off data from your hard drive, there are several possibilities to follow. Let us know if you can access Windows in safe mode for now.

#8 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

Sometimes the F key number will vary depending on the BIOS that the manufacturer used, so try them all if F8 doesn't work.

If you want to pull off data from your hard drive, there are several possibilities to follow. Let us know if you can access Windows in safe mode for now.

I still don't see it...  The, i think, post screen pops up that you mentioned earlier which shows "gigabyte", the brand of my motherboard, it has options like boot menu, system information, q-flash etc, I've tried all of them, including f8 that wasn't listed and there is no mention of safe mode that I can see.  I can get into the BIOS but i still don't see anywhere that it talks about safe mode.  What you're talking about is before the windows loading screen, right?

In the bios there are tabs MIT, System, BIOS features, Peripherals, Power management, ad save & exit.  none of them seem to say anything about safe mode.

Thanks

#9 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

After the post screen it has options "launch startup repair" and "start windows normally".  

If i start windows normally it goes to the "windows is starting" with the dancing windows logo which then freezes and the bsod appears.

If i do launch startup repair repair it tries to check for errors but fails. It then allows me to access some diagnostic tools.  A memory test, cmd prompt,  system restore, and image recovery.  To get to those i have to type in my username and password from windows so it is at least able to read something from windows.

Ive tried all the options to no avail.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hopefully, when you got your computer, they provided you with some kind of manual that specified all the boot options; if so, somewhere in there, they should specify how to access Safe Mode. Just FYI so you know what we are talking about, Safe Mode is a special boot option in Windows that loads only the basic necessary drivers to get Windows booted. When you finally access Windows in SM, you will notice that many things don't work, the screen is black with white text, and a lot of your desktop icons are missing. This is normal. If you can boot into SM, then we have a clue that something is being loaded on normal boot that is crashing the computer, so we can start searching from there.

Please specify the make and model of your motherboard; you mentioned in an earlier post that "Gigabyte" appeared on the screen on boot, so that is probably the mobo (motherboard) that you have. Now we need the model/model # to try and find what your Function keys are.

Just as a thought, try booting while tapping the "Delete" key. When you finally do get to the SM screen, it may offer you various options of SM; just choose "Safe Mode without networking" (or words to that effect).

Edited by ranchhand_, 14 October 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#11 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

For whatever reason it worked to press f8 this time.  I chose Safe mode without networking and I got the BSOD right away, cant get into windows even then.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

At this point you must make a decision; either we attempt to repair Windows or we attempt to salvage what data we can off the HDD (Hard Disk Drive). At this point we do not know if only the OS is corrupted or the entire partition is corrupted, or possibly the motherboard itself is damaged, so in the process it is possible that more or all the data could be lost. If the data is critical and must be saved then I suggest attempting that first. Your choice.

Information I need to know:

> Do you have either:

an OEM Windows disk or a full retail Microsoft Windows disk. (OEM is a disk that the manufacturer of your computer has created that has Windows on it. These manufacturers purchase licenses only for Windows then create their own image along with custom options they incorporate into Windows and burn it to a disk.)  (A retail M/Soft Windows disk comes from Microsoft along with your key number.) OR, is there only a restore partition on your HDD that you access by pressing certain keys on boot which begins the restore process? The motherboard manual that came with your computer will tell you.  This is important.

> Do you have a separate CD containing your mother board drivers that came with your computer? Look for a CD that will have the name Gigabyte on it. Since you had this custom built I would guess that is what Cyberpower gave you, possibly along with a full Microsoft Windows retail disk. Unfortunately each custom builder has its own methods, so no guarantees.

> Since you are posting on this forum, I assume that you have access to another computer with a working DVD drive. Correct me if I am wrong.

> You may need a flash drive, largest capacity possible. Have you managed to check if your USB ports are still working? 

> Have you checked if the DVD drive on your computer is still working?

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

Are you still with me?

#14 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

I've decided I dont need to take any data of the harddrive.

I have what seems to be an OEM disk.  It has the CyberPowerPC name on it which is the website that I got my computer from(the site allows you to make a custom pc from different parts and they assemble it for you.)  I also have a disk with gigabyte on it.  It says its an intel 7 series utlity dvd, has chipset drivers and various stuff on it. 

I have a latop with a functioning dvd drive.

I have a 4 gb flash drive.

Dvd on the computer seems to still be working.

Is the next step to pop in the windows disk, set the boot load order in the bios, and load to the disk and attempt to install windows?

#15 Khaines0625

Khaines0625
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

Also, thanks for the help you've given me so far

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users