Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My video card's fan has power, but won't spin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Unbalanced

Unbalanced

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:38 PM

So recently my computer was shutting off instantly for some reason, and I found out that it was because the video card was overheating. This led to the discovery that its fan wasn't spinning at all. However, I noticed that whenever I turned the computer on, the fan jiggles for a second, but then sits still, like it tried to start but couldn't. I've tried spinning it a little myself to see if it could get going with some momentum, but that didn't work. I even took it out of the heatsink to apply new oil, and it spins just fine manually, but it still won't spin from power. It still just jiggles, and then stops.

Any ideas how I could fix this? If not, I'm considering buying a replacement fan to try that, though it seems I can only get those online...

My video card is a Radeon HD 7750, the provided fan with that card is a 45mm fan with a 3-screw tri-mounting bracket.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

that is a relatively new card to consider the fan motor burning out. i had a fan go out on an old geforce 210, it started making a strange sound and was spinning intermittently. looking back i wish i would have saved myself some money and just rigged up a 40mm fan with twist ties attached to the heatsink..

there are after market  card cooling solutions form Arctic :

http://www.shop.com/Arctic+Cooling+Accelero+L2+PLUS+VGA+cooler+for+ATI+Radeon+7770+7750+6850+6790+6770+nVIDIA+GeForce+9800+9600+9500+Up+to+120+watts-1026966208-p+.xhtml

unless you really want to get creative and rig up a silly configuration with a standard fan that is cheap.. the point is to keep air moving through the heatsink to dissipate heat.

Edited by synergy513, 10 October 2014 - 05:50 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Unbalanced

Unbalanced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

Unfortunately I can't get something like that as there's a sound card in front of the video card. It doesn't block the fan, but anything larger than the current heatsink wouldn't fit. That's why I would just go for a straight replacement of the fan. I was eyeing this as a possibility since it's the same kind.

But I suppose that means you don't know what exactly is going on with this one, huh?

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

that looks like it isn't very expensive and could solve the problem.

if there is another card that is really close to the fan, then the fan very well could have burned out .

that is what happened to me, my cards fan stopped functioning properly, and it was literally 2 millimeters away from a TV tuner card right next to it so there wasn't alot of space for the fan to draw air from.

#5 Unbalanced

Unbalanced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Here's what the space looks like, on the left. Half of the fan is behind the card, but there is more space than your example, about a centimetre. Do you think that could have been the cause of a burnout?

Edited by Unbalanced, 11 October 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

there could be multiple prognoses, but it is a rare occurrance for a card fan to spin freely but not spin on its own,. at least that deducts the dust and/or obstruction variable which is most common.

i see it is located between a couple of heat spreaders on the motherboard. those are bridges that take data traffic between the cpu and everything it is communicating with, and generate a lot of heat.

could it be that the power lead wire harness isn't connecting properly at either or both ends?  or even worse, disruption of the circuitry that is suppying the power from the onboard pinout to the fan?

and one other thing, the 7750 is one of those models that is about as  high as you can go without needing an extra 6 pin PCIe power lead (under 75 watts) from the power supply. what kind of power supply do you have? a card like that could be pushing the limits of the motherboard power provision.

when a card is getting all of its power from the pci lane like that, the power is coming from the 4 pin or 8 pin motherboard connector off of the power supply, and i can't remember the volt subset for that motherboard power connector, it probably is 12v though. it could be a power suppy issue, a significant portion of problems with PCs are.

if you can provide the make/model of the 7750  (i.e. sapphire vaporx 2gb gddr5 etc.), i can investigate further.

#7 Unbalanced

Unbalanced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

My power supply is 300W (exact model is HP-P3017F3 LF). I'm not exactly sure how to find what you need for the video card, so I took a picture of the info on the physical card and a screenshot from dxdiag. If you need something from somewhere else, tell me where to find it and I can get it for you.

Edit: Not sure it provides any more information than the stickers, but on amazon it was called "VisionTek Products AMD Radeon 7750 SFF 1GB X16 PCIE Express Graphics Card 900549"

ANOTHER edit: I forgot to mention, I tested my card in a friend's computer, and the fan still failed to run. Unfortunately though, he had no place I could plug in the fan itself.

Edited by Unbalanced, 11 October 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

sweet and slim card!!!

a quick search didn't reveal anything as far as it being a common problem

so, the obstruction isn't there stopping the fan blades from turning.

then the swap into a different PC didn't turn up anything different.

i would vote that your fan replacement idea would be the first try to solve this adversity.

#9 Unbalanced

Unbalanced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

I'll be back in like a week, then...thanks for your help!

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

sure thing,

keep us posted and keep your 7750 from getting roasted.

#11 Unbalanced

Unbalanced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hey, back with good news. The new card fan works. Just tested it out on a game and my old framerate's back, with a maximum temperature of around 60C. I did have to superglue it on because the screw holes didn't match, but other than that, everything's great. Thanks again!

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users