Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Calls from Windows 8 Tech Support?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jijo272

jijo272

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Wondering if anyone else is getting calls from a Windows 8 Tech support person?  They called me 2 days in a row.  I heard her out for a while to see what the scam was, and when she told me that "a critical error had occurred on my computer and she wanted me to turn on my Windows 8 so she could help fix it" and that's when I hung up.

I wonder how many people do turn on their Windows 8 and follow her instructions....................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

The creeps have been calling on 7&8, I give them a dash of non repeatable words! :tophat:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks to quietman7, you can find many articles like these on the forum areas .........

Internet Phone Scams

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages and set up fake websites. They might also call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license...Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes...Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Avoid tech support phone scams: What you need to know
Don’t fall for phony phone tech support
Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

You just say "Go Away" and hang up the phone ..............

Note that a few of these links are a bit old, so they are being updated all of the time.

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 10 October 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#4 jijo272

jijo272
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thanks to you both.  I hoped I wasn't the only one getting these calls.  Scary!

#5 MillardPrograms

MillardPrograms

• Banned
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

Are they Indian People? If so, play along for as long as you can and just try to waste their time. But don't piss them off too bad, or they'll put you on a list where they call you every couple of weeks and have an intimate conversation with you. Personally, I love being on that list because I piss them off and laugh so hard at their stupidity. I do this to them because they scammed my not-so-tech-savvy mom out of a couple hundred bucks. Anyway, there a handful of jerks which will eventually leave you alone. Just stay away.  

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:32 AM

You would be suprised how many people follow through with the scammers instructions, I used to get about 2-3 people a week that followed through until the scammer asked for money, when they say no, the scammer who has remoted to the computer will often cause damage to the file system or files in retaliation for not giving them money.

To anyone who reads this thread: Microsoft will never call you to offer remote assistance or tell you your computer has an issue.

Anyone who calls you or offers remote assistance without you personally asking them is a scam. Some of the remote offers online are also scams. I personally recommend never accepting remote assistance from an unknown party online or over the phone.

Edited by zingo156, 13 October 2014 - 10:39 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

I just came across this thread and I know it's a couple of months old but I remembered this Malwarebytes blog and thought it was interesting to say the least.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2013/04/phone-scammers-call-the-wrong-guy-get-mad-and-trash-pc/

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

I just came across this thread and I know it's a couple of months old but I remembered this Malwarebytes blog and thought it was interesting to say the least.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2013/04/phone-scammers-call-the-wrong-guy-get-mad-and-trash-pc/

This is a perfect example of what clients told me happened.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

I was called twice last week. The first time I asked the caller for their Microsoft ID credentials and they hung up. I told the second caller they reached the FBI Cyber Division and they hung up. :wink:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

I was called twice last week. The first time I asked the caller for their Microsoft ID credentials and they hung up. I told the second caller they reached the FBI Cyber Division and they hung up. :wink:

LOL someday I'm going to get a call and I'll defenitely be using the latter version!

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

Yep, when they call waste their dime acting dumb. Orrrrrr you can do what some hackers have done, send them a remote invite laced with a reverse shell payload and then drop Hail Mary their ###'s :devil:

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for updating everybody at this time of the year JohnC_21, when they may be updating or generally purchasing new computers for youngsters.

Computers should come with a few warnings like this on the box. It is bad enough to get "Nag Screens" if you have not registered your purchase, so now do it by the book.

My grand daughter got sucked in for the first few minutes, then remembered what I had told her, and removed the computer from the Internet prior to any scam connection being made.

Also a well done article from Jérôme Segura, another Senior security researcher at Malwarebytes.

I think this "almost" qualifies as an open Pinned Article over most forum areas, even though quietman7 has it listed in his Security areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users