Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

searching for alternative program to windows system restore

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paulos123

paulos123

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

im searching for an alternative program to windows system restore,cause its not reliable,

i installed rollback rx but after i got bsod so never again.

im waiting for any suggestions.

p.s im not serching for program that makes system image like acronis true image

thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

I don't know of any application that is a substitute for System Restore which restores the registry and also files. The closest would be a program that can restore the registry if it gets corrupted and that would be Registry Backup. Look at the FAQ and videos before deciding to use it.

#3 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

im not looking for registry backup,im looking for a program that takes snapshots of the sysyem and you can recover your system to specific dated.

for example you create 3 restore points,one on 10/10 and another on 11/10 and another on 3/10.

and you can rollback the system to these dates.

so no registry backup,nosystem backup nad system image,

system restore.......

#4 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

Can't suggest anything but can give you a little warning.I used Rollbackrx and tried a rollback,got 3/4 of the way through it and system shutdown and restarted again.That's all she wrote,never could boot again.Had to replace hard drive,somehow wound up with 11 partitions on the old one.JUST A WARNING.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Not sure if you mean restore "Program(s)" or "Full Operating System".

Simple tools like Recuva will restore "Programs", or "Areas of Programs" that you may want to find.

I have used it quite often -

This is not a full System Restore program, in the way that I use it ........

#6 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

There is a excellent program called ERUNT that will make full registry backups daily upon first boot of the day and can be set to delete them 30 days later.  I ran it for years on XP and Windows 7 but could not get it to work on Windows 8.  I used it to recovery the registry many times over the years.  Anyone trying this on XP or Win 7 should make a full copy of the hard drive first!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/erunt/

But Windows 8 is still not listed as compatible.  I tried to get it to run several times but couldn't get to run on Win 8.1.

Has anyone figured out how to get ERUNT to run on Windows 8 & 8.1?

Edited by Justa, 11 October 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#7 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

good program useful and easy thanks.....

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

Windows' System Restore is a wonderful tool if & when it works but when it doesn't it's a nightmare.

Quote: "Has anyone figured out how to get ERUNT to run on Windows 8 & 8.1?"

ERUNT isn't compatible with Windows 7 & Windows 8 because both operating systems have an additional registry hive called "Components" and that hive isn't backup by ERUNT. Better use Tweaking's Registry Backup. It does backup that hive.

@the moderators: I would suggest to drop ERUNT from the list of BC Downloads for the reason mentioned above.

#9 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info Willy.  I'm going to check out "Tweaking's Registry Backup" for my Windows 8.1 machines.  I hope it will run automatically daily because I always fail on manual systems.  Having the ERUNT backup less than 24 hours old was a godsend.  Oddly enough ERUNT worked perfectly every time I used it on my Window 7 machine.  Apparently I never had a problem within the hive you mention and it apparently corrected problems in other parts of the registry.

I found this on Windows 8.1 restore:

• Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

If I read that correctly it can be up to 37 days between restore points.  Think I'll set up some reminders to manually create restore points weekly for now until I get something better running.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:27 AM

- See if there's in one of the ERUNT backup folders a file called "Components".

- Registry Backup is highly customizable. Check it out !!! Yes, it can be set up run automatically upon start up.

Edited by Willy22, 14 October 2014 - 01:44 AM.

#11 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

I know of one thing that works really well but not exactly like a System Restore. I will do my best to explain it but you might want to check out the website; it's a nifty tool and I can think of many situations where it would come in handy: kids, library computers, etc.

BTW when I say this program works, it does just that. However, you have to be aware of what you are doing; if you don't put your PC in thaw mode things like your MS Word files will be gone on a reboot. What it does is once enabled it brings your PC back to the settings/files/image of that very moment. So if you don't put the PC in thaw mode when you want to save a file or/and do MS Updates and reboot you will lose those things. Personally I think it's best for PC's given to kids so people like me don't have to fix it every week. I know the arguments about permissions and etc. but that doesn't work nearly as well as this program. 

http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#12 Overcl0cker

Overcl0cker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

I'd look into Rollback Rx Home Edition. It's freeware, but it works. Also it's not within Windows so it's not going to be compromised by a virus like WSR can be  :hysterical:

Edited by Overcl0cker, 25 June 2015 - 05:08 PM.

#13 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

I'd look into Rollback Rx Home Edition. It's freeware, but it works. Also it's not within Windows so it's not going to be compromised by a virus like WSR can be  :hysterical:

I think paulos123 has make it clear that roll back didn't work out for him. 

#14 Overcl0cker

Overcl0cker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

I think paulos123 has make it clear that roll back didn't work out for him. 

I should have elaborated but it sounds like he may have been using Version 10 which was notorious for various issues. Even 10.2 and 10.3 were vast improvements. So perhaps it's worth another shot? I mean BSOD is bad news for anyone but I think if he's running Version 10 that could be why. Food for thought at least

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

I installed version 10.3.......and so far all seems well.

I did notice that upon rebooting to complete the install, windows update notice came up in the taskbar telling me there were several updates available ....I have windows updates turned off, and the icon disabled in the taskbar....and i believe there is no such thing as coincidence.....so I am keeping an eagle eye on the whole thing.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users