Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Robocalls or Telemarketers tracking my computer use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jcollege

jcollege

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

This is an odd question, but it might be caused by malware, some kind of ad-tracker cookie, or my isp survelliance.

For the past year or more, I seem to be getting robocalls or telemarketing calls at the exact time (1) my computer is turned on or (2) I am logging into e-mail or (3) if I am posting on a messageboard

Its too much of a coincidence, so I might have a virus or malware that is alerting botnets when my computer is turned on. I don't know if these robocalls are tied to survelliance activities on determining who is using a specific computer, at a certain physical address with an IP address. Or if some Ad-tracking company has downloaded malware onto my computer just so they can send out Robocalls. 

I was using Yahoo mail when most of these robo-calls occurred, so it could be something tied to the e-mail address.  yahoo might be using a specific ad-targeting company that is making robocalls. 

Or I am secretly being logged into some sort of Skype/IM system that alerts when my computer is on and whether I am writing e-mails or posting on controversial messageboards.

Has anyone else experienced this with tons of Robocalls/Telemarketers that is tied to your computer usage and activity?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Racket_Man

Racket_Man

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

Do you have Caller ID on your phone and if you do have you tried to look up these numbers via sites like 800notes or WhoCallsMe to be able to discern a pattern of the type of calls and the occurnace of these calls received by others.

#3 Racket_Man

Racket_Man

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

Do you have Caller ID on your phone and if you do have you tried to look up these numbers via sites like 800notes or WhoCallsMe to be able to discern a pattern of the type of calls and the occurnace of these calls received by others.

#4 jcollege

jcollege
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

http://gravismarketing.com/services/virtual-predictive-dialer/

I found this service called: hosted predictive dialer is predictive dialing software

I think something like this is helping telemarketers make calls when "your computer is turned on, when web browsing certain sites, when writing e-mails or blogs."  I think this software places cookies on your computer and tracks your web activity to make live phone calls because they know you are home at that time.

Has anyone heard of this type of telemarketing software?

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:42 AM

As one who has experience in the telemarketing industry, you're giving them way too much credit. What they do depends on the product. But in many cases they prefer cold calling straight out of the phone book or warm calling for extended warranties and stuff like that. Robocalls are different and may use that kind of product because those calls are usually automated. I think it's doubtful they are tracking your computer use. There's no reason for them to do that. And BTW, call display doesn't usually work on automated dialers.

Edited by frankp316, 13 November 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

FTC Guide: Robocalls

Robocalls are unsolicited prerecorded telemarketing calls to landline home telephones, and all autodialed or prerecorded calls or text messages to wireless numbers, emergency numbers, and patient rooms at health care facilities. Under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA"), FCC rules limit many types of robocalls, though some calls are permissible if prior consent is given. Rules differ between landline and wireless phones.

FTC Consumer Information

Consumers are getting more robocalls than ever. Technology is the reason: Companies are using autodialers that can send out thousands of phone calls every minute for an incredibly low cost.

What To Do If You Get a Robocall

FTC Guide: Unwanted Telephone Marketing Calls
FTC: Stopping Unwanted Sales Calls
National Do Not Call Registry
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users