Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remmina not working on Ubuntu???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

Hello all, not sure if topic title actually fits, so here's the run down.  I am running Ubuntu 14.04 on my desktop, connected to my router via Ethernet cable.  I am running Mint 17 xcfe on my laptop wireless connection to router.  Now I can connect to my Ubuntu installation using Remmina just fine.  But when I connect the Mint installation to Ubuntu I can control the machine but all I ever see is the Desktop. ie:  when I open a folder or program on Ubuntu from Mint via Remmina the folder or program opens but I don't see it on the Mint machine.  Oh I am using VNC via the Desktop Sharing app/program.  I've done some searching/reading and found others who could not connect and the "FIX" for that, but I am connecting and controlling the host desktop, just can't see it happen on Guest.  All suggestions are VERY welcome.  Oh and I'm pretty new to Linux in general.  Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hi snglnluvnit, I don't have sufficient knowledge in this area to help, but I do know what the first questions the Cavalry will include will be (as I would ask):

Can you tell us a whole lot more about the system specs under which you are running, eg I see you have a version of Windows. Is it a WUBI install, or is Trusty Tahr running in its own partition?

Can you provide screenshots of anything to help?

If you look at my footer signature and check out my profile, you will see a lot of the information that could be of use to those more experienced than I. And it will help you with future inquiries.

If you need any help with screenshots, sing out.

Good luck.

Wizard

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit on it's on partition, dual booting with Mint 17 KDE 64 bit on the other partition on a desktop that is wired to my router.  The laptop is running Mint 17 xcfe 64 bit on it's own partition dual booting with Windows 7 HP 64 bit, running a wireless connection to same router.  There is not much to screenshot, and not error messages.  Just that I have control over the mouse on the host machine (Ubuntu), can see whatever is initially visible, and can run\open programs\files on host machine from Guest machine (Mint), but it does not show up on Guest (Mint) screen, but it is actually happening on the Host (Ubuntu) machine.  If there is other information needed/requested I'll be happy to oblige but not sure what else to include.

Thanks Scott

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

That's a good start, Scott (finally worked out the userID on my 3rd coffee of the morning, :hysterical: , don't know why people say I am slow). l will leave the "additional info needed" to those who will follow me.

I see you have been a member since 2011, have you posted screenshots to the forum before? If not, I can give you some tips in that regard.

And after your problem has been solved, by all means swing over to another of my favourite topics, here, and give us your input. Or start at the most recent, here, and work back. But it's worth taking the survey. My experience with Linux started with Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit WUBIed on a Dell running XP SP3 32-bit, about 2 years ago, and it sat there as a boot option for most of that two years, I would occasionally look at the default purple desktop, but that was all.

Then I galvanised into action about 9 months ago on our newer Acer Aspire AIO Z5761, WUBIing under Windows 7 64-bit using 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, and started to get really impressed.

So when my Windows 7 started falling over :notme: :smash: in July/August, I backed up, then blew away Windows (after 24 years) and went full-blown with Trusty Tahr, and loved it. Scary, cathartic, but well worth it.

Now I've dedicated 100GB (93GiB) to Zorin (I have a 2TB HDD), currently using its default desktop which resembles Windows 7. It's only the 3rd day today but very interesting. I'll try other "flavours", Mint amongst them, but I'll be benchmarking them against the "Buntu".

Enough chatter, I'll leave you for now, but good luck.

When the Cavalry lob in (I would be surprised if cat1092, NickAu1, perhaps Al1000, and others were not amongst them), see what I mean about fleshing out your profile and signature (after they've asked you for info).

Later

Wiz

#5 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hello all, not sure if topic title actually fits, so here's the run down.  I am running Ubuntu 14.04 on my desktop, connected to my router via Ethernet cable.  I am running Mint 17 xcfe on my laptop wireless connection to router.  Now I can connect to my Ubuntu installation using Remmina just fine.  But when I connect the Mint installation to Ubuntu I can control the machine but all I ever see is the Desktop. ie:  when I open a folder or program on Ubuntu from Mint via Remmina the folder or program opens but I don't see it on the Mint machine.  Oh I am using VNC via the Desktop Sharing app/program.  I've done some searching/reading and found others who could not connect and the "FIX" for that, but I am connecting and controlling the host desktop, just can't see it happen on Guest.  All suggestions are VERY welcome.  Oh and I'm pretty new to Linux in general.  Thanks!!!

Since I am unsure what steps you have already taken to resolve this issue, below is a simple checklist that can be useful when troubleshooting problems like this:

• Make sure you're not blocking required ports on the affected machine. Verify your firewall settings (if any)
  • Check your vino-preferences and make sure you are allowing users to control and view the remote desktop. You might also want to look into checking "Automatically configure UPnP router to open..."
  • Vino-server may not be finding the correct default display settings. You can try the following command on the affected machine before connecting: export DISPLAY=:0.0 && /usr/lib/vino/vino-server &
  • Ensure that your Remmina settings are all correct when connecting to the affected machine. You could possibly even compare both machines Remmina settings to find possible issues
  • If all else has failed then you can always manually start the vino-server and log its output to a log in your home directory. This will let you go back and see what is actually happening when you're trying to control the machine in question. You should be able to do this with the following command: /usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable 2>&1 | tee -a ~/vino.log

Hopefully this checklist can get you going in the right direction. This is typically how I would begin to troubleshoot an issue like this. Once you review the logs, you should be able to see a clear picture of what is going on.

Edited by Kaosu, 13 October 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#6 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thank you Kaosu, I will get to the checklist this weekend, and post back.  Is the firewall on by default in Ubuntu?  I think it is not in Mint 17 xcfe. Still will double check.

#7 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:34 AM

Thank you Kaosu, I will get to the checklist this weekend, and post back.  Is the firewall on by default in Ubuntu?  I think it is not in Mint 17 xcfe. Still will double check.

The firewall in Ubuntu does not block anything by default.

Edited by Kaosu, 16 October 2014 - 12:35 AM.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:54 AM

Hi snglnluvnit,

sudo ufw enable

will enable the firewall, from Terminal

sudo ufw status verbose

from Terminal will tell you at any time what its status is.

Or if you prefer a GUI-style approach go to Synaptic and install gufw, and just OK the default settings.

Keep smilin' :wink:

Wiz

#9 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have ceased using Ubuntu, and just went with all Mint builds on everything.  Seems to be working fine now..

Thanks for all the help!!!!

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Congrats for getting your problem solved to your satisfaction!

See you round like a rissole

:wizardball:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users