Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beware Flashlight Apps.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q8xz8xKEFvU

http://www.androidpit.com/warning-flashlight-privacy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

Personally I have issues with snoopwall and their methods of 'informing'. I installed their app and it rated my ESET Mobile Security as a HIGH risk. Say WHAT?

I trust them about as much as I trust their app and information. I can't find the rebuttal argument article I read just the other day about snoopwall. My perception is that snoopwall is leveraging FUD to gain market visibility.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

Personally I have issues with snoopwall and their methods of 'informing'. I installed their app and it rated my ESET Mobile Security as a HIGH risk. Say WHAT?

I trust them about as much as I trust their app and information. I can't find the rebuttal argument article I read just the other day about snoopwall. My perception is that snoopwall is leveraging FUD to gain market visibility.

Hello animal

I think you make complete sense, not just above but as you said else where--""This is where depending on somebody else doing it for you, by use of their app, can leave you with misinformation. And a false sense of well being or in other cases of being attacked""

but sort of, snoop wall, dispite the free version,  like everyone wants to make money and marketing,,,,  they fail in their product explanation vary badly, as i remember it, one of their main messages is a program can leave you open to infection when used in conjuction with/and another program by a virius

Their program and rightly so, judges a app not just by its ability to snoop, "but be used to snoop when infected"

The later being a very tangible possibilitie, in any computer app, softwhare Etc.

Another of snoop walls claims is to expose those apps for that possibilitie.

which it does wonderfully, but, animal, as you point out does so too Genericly with a blurr non closure.

But In the later regard, they are heaven sent, forcing app makers to think, app makers should be aware they can create lessor or greater risk by the way the app is coded, often to the end users danger, often because the app is coded in the most simple way to avoid using space, bad news, sometimes it takes some space to make a app safer.

Snoop is also standing up for consumers, something rare in a corpratocricy and slaming phone companys

way out of control, making phones that demand you buy their programs to run them better that should have been part of the phone to begin with. thank you so very much FCC

snoop wall is making app makers rethink their products, redesign and expand security, yes like all capitalist they mouth off about being on your side, offering shelter from the storm and all the other nonsense that makes us spaced out after getting ripped off

by "such nice folks i thought" but they seek to fix and patch the problem tho they take part in it.

but if snoop wall says your software is invasive, or can be used to be invasive then it is just doing what it promised, pointing what is going where and how deeply, even to your anti virus program, which may be harmless.

but the facts remain, if i want to spy on you, a dumb app like flash light can be opened to turn your camera on, this was just done to a famious movie star. its not a possibilitie it is a historic action.

had she had snoopwalls flash light it could not have happen, as i understand it

I think what is really getting missed here is in all this concentration on big brother,,,,, while all that is rude, Etc, it will never stop, has always existed and always will, BUT they won't post pictures of me I accidently take on the net.

the real evil done is by whize kid punk adults who never grew up, with zero respect for others private space, who farm/harvest us for many reasons with soft ware, promised to do something else, and young folks stuck in a cultual icon are just not caring what they lose emotionally......so they can be in that icon, and not emotionally moving on to becoming "free private adults"  as long as they get their identity gumball toy,  and they are failing to develope adult boundries in giving up the right to private space, the human mind can not function properly giving up such privilages, the end product  is a imbecil, who will fail many tests of intimacy manditory for marrage, higher brain function and just what you see everywhere, "ego" replacing "self esteam", the former being a nusence and  often an preditor

the acceptence of zero privacy is evolving as a perminate personality flaw , and larger all the time, was it not X-BOX who just came out and said in fine print it can and will watch you in your living room?  20 years ago people had too much dignity, sacred private peace and space to allow such a device in their life "anywhere".

and you had a much more intergrated, mature and functioning adult into the deal.

just compare the headlines.

jimbotoo :thumbup2:

Edited by jimbotoo, 22 November 2014 - 03:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users