Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem and Router Forewall

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bizemom365

bizemom365

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hi there,

I received a call from Dell yesterday, my computer has been kicking out errors and they called regarding what they were receiving.

They told me that hackers are able to use my WiFi or internet connection to get in to my computer.

Is this true?

They had me go into the cmd file and it pulled up 45-60 active connections. and the even viewer that showed 2,593 error events.

Not sure what to do. They want to sell me 

Dell Tech Firewall price ranges from 199 for 1 year to 300 something for 3. Can anyone please explain this to me. 

Thanks

Christi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

This is a scam. No company is receiving errors from your computer. Ever. The "errors" they showed you are absolutely normal--the event viewer displays every single error any program ever has--so of course there will be a lot!

-- Matt

#3 bizemom365

bizemom365
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thank you!! I was stressing out. 

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

No problem!

Did you install any programs from them or allow them to remote access your computer?

-- Matt

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

As kokomodrums posted, the Event Viewer will show all of the errors.  To expand on that... there will always be errors that are not of a critical nature as well.  There are errors which can be ignored as well.

Windows 8/8.1 has a good firewall which is enabled by default and will stay enabled unless another firewall is installed, if this happens the default Windows firewall will automatically be disabled.

If you are connected to a router by wifi you have another layer of protection.

Edit:  let's just say that I have been biased against Dell since they started using proprietorial parts, like a PSU which not only was non-ATX in its dimensions, but also had a different pinout from a ATX PSU, which had a tendency to die.  When this PSU died the owner of the computer didn't have any recourse other than to purchase a new one from Dell.  [/rant]

Your are correct, there are companies outside the USA that will prey on the unsuspecting.

Edited by dc3, 10 October 2014 - 01:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'm pretty certain it wasn't actually a Dell representative that called her. Many scammers will pretend to be a legitimate company to trick a user into believing them.

As an aside, I actually prefer Dell computers to a lot of other brands.

-- Matt

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

What I posted about Dell is strictly my personal opinion.  I've disliked them since the first time they started selling computers with proprietorial parts.  And their "tech support" isn't going to be winning any prizes either.  [/rant]

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

It's perfectly acceptable to have an opinion of a company, but to incorrectly associate Dell with scammers is dishonest and slandering. That was my point.

-- Matt

#9 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

What I posted about Dell is strictly my personal opinion.  I've disliked them since the first time they started selling computers with proprietorial parts.  And their "tech support" isn't going to be winning any prizes either.  [/rant]

I agree with you about Dell, their tech support is not good. Called to tell them I needed a motherboard under warranty for a customer and they helped me troubleshoot the problem. She said that the problem was the power supply and that's all they could send me. Well I had already tried a power supply from another working machine and when I told her that she asked if I could try it again. So I made a bit of noise like I was swapping it again, then after a few minutes I said nope, still not working. So she says okay then, I can send you the motherboard now. Why wouldn't she believe me when I first told her I had already tried it??? 

I like to find out exactly whats wrong before I call for support so I can tell them whats wrong. But no, I have to try everything they want me to over the phone (again) so they can try and determine whats wrong.

Another case they wanted my friend to format his drive due to blue screens, of course he didn't have a backup. It was just a bad memory stick and they wanted him to reload Windows because of it, shaking my head!!!

#10 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

Perhaps it would be beneficial to start a separate "Dell frustrations" post, in case the OP needs additional assistance with this post.  :wink:

-- Matt

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I would like to extend my apologies to bizemom365.  I had not intended for this to go off topic in this fashion.

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yes bizemom365 I too am sorry for ranting in your thread. dc3's post kinda set me off. Not your fault though DC3, it's all mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users