Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Xampp folder

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Rebbs

Rebbs

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

Hi

I need help with deleting the Xampp folder on my C drive please.

Apache and Mysql are not running in services, not sure what to do really?

Xampp is using too much space 2.28 gb worth of space so it has to go!

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14842494/uninstalling-xampp-and-its-services

#3 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the reply @ M de Jager -  I've already tried the above link but the solution provided doesn't work?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

If all you are trying to do is delete the folder try File Assassin. If that does not work, do it offline with a linux distro like Puppy.

#5 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

@JohnC21 I've downloaded File Assassin, but which Puppy file do I download via Mediafire?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

I would download version 5.2.8, It is pretty compatible with most hardware. It's in the middle of the page I linked to.

Edit: At the Puppy desktop you should see your hard drive icon in the lower left desktop. Click one on it, probably sda1, A green dot will appear on the icon to say it has been mounted and the File Manager will open. Browse to the folder and select delete by right clicking the folder.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#7 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

I don't have Linux and I am not familar with it at all, I saw an installer .exe link for windows so I was looking into that option but there are 2 exe files I saved the 1st one onto my USB stick?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

Puppy is actually very easy to use. The download for 5.2.8 will be an iso file. Here is the link. If you want to boot from a USB flash drive download Rufus. Opt out of the update check. Click iso image in the lower dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file. Click start. Any data on the USB flash drive will be erased.

I don't know your model but if it is a dell you can tap F12 to bring up a boot menu to select the USB flash drive otherwise you may have to set USB as the first device in BIOS.

You can also burn a disk using isoburner or Imgburn to create a bootable CD.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,538 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

Also

How do I uninstall XAMPP?
If you installed XAMPP using the installer version, please use the Uninstaller. The Uninstaller will delete all XAMPP entries from your registry and it will uninstall some installed services included with XAMPP. We highly recommend that you use the Uninstall program for removing XAMPP installations from the Installer version.Please backup all the data you want to keep before uninstalling XAMPP.

If you installed XAMPP using the ZIP and 7zip versions, shut down all XAMPP servers and exit all panels. If you installed any services, uninstall and shut them down too. Now simply delete the entire folder where XAMPP is installed. There are no registry entries and no environment variables to clean up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

What do I do with the puppy file, extract from usb to my desktop?

#11 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

Also

How do I uninstall XAMPP?
If you installed XAMPP using the installer version, please use the Uninstaller. The Uninstaller will delete all XAMPP entries from your registry and it will uninstall some installed services included with XAMPP. We highly recommend that you use the Uninstall program for removing XAMPP installations from the Installer version.Please backup all the data you want to keep before uninstalling XAMPP.

If you installed XAMPP using the ZIP and 7zip versions, shut down all XAMPP servers and exit all panels. If you installed any services, uninstall and shut them down too. Now simply delete the entire folder where XAMPP is installed. There are no registry entries and no environment variables to clean up.

I tried to use the unistaller if didn't work!

#12 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

Puppy is actually very easy to use. The download for 5.2.8 will be an iso file. Here is the link. If you want to boot from a USB flash drive download Rufus. Opt out of the update check. Click iso image in the lower dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file. Click start. Any data on the USB flash drive will be erased.

I don't know your model but if it is a dell you can tap F12 to bring up a boot menu to select the USB flash drive otherwise you may have to set USB as the first device in BIOS.

You can also burn a disk using isoburner or Imgburn to create a bootable CD.

Hi John

I'm not a techie please kindly guide me into wot to do,  I've downloaded the puppy and rufus files to my usb, please provide me a guide, im nervous about using this software as it's new to me, unfortuately file assasin didn't work!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

Did you try file assassin in Safe Mode?

What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are not comfortable doing this, have someone with more experience help you.

Edit: This is for creating a bootable USB flash drive

Move the Puppy iso and Rufus.exe from the flash drive to the desktop

Double click the Rufus.exe file. Opt out of the check for updates. You will get the program window.

In the device box, you should see your USB flash drive listed. Use the down arrow to select it if it is not shown.

For Partition scheme use MBR

Leave cluster size alone.

Under Format options leave everthing as shown. There should be three checkmarks

Under Create a bootable disk using select iso image in the dropdown box.

Click the icon next to it and browse to the iso file of Puppy on the desktop.

Click Start. Warning, any data on the USB flash drive will be gone.

Attach the flash drive to the computer and then boot up.

You may have to change the boot order in BIOS so USB is first on the list. Then save setting and exit out of BIOS.

If you have a CD disk, it would be easier just to download isoburner in the link I provided and let it burn the iso file to the disk.

When you run iso burner press the open button and browse to the Puppy iso file. Select a burn speed no faster than 8X. Press the burn button. Then boot the Puppy CD by restarting your computer with the CD in the optical drive.

If you get Puppy to boot to the desktop, select the hard drive icon in the lower left. It should be labeled sda1. Click once on the icon. The File Manager will open. Browse to the folder you want to delete. Right click the folder and select Delete. Make absolutely sure you are deleting the correct folder as there is no going back. Again, if you are not comfortable doing this, then don't.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#14 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

If you are not comfortable doing this, have someone with more experience help you.

Double click the Rufus.exe file. Opt out of the check for updates. You will get the program window.

In the device box, you should see your USB flash drive listed. Use the down arrow to select it if it is not shown.

You may have to change the boot order in BIOS so USB is first on the list. Then save setting and exit out of BIOS.

If you have a CD disk, it would be easier just to download isoburner in the link I provided and let it burn the iso file to the disk.

When you run iso burner press the open button and browse to the Puppy iso file. Select a burn speed no faster than 8X. Press the burn button. Then boot the Puppy CD by restarting your computer with the CD in the optical drive.

If you get Puppy to boot to the desktop, select the hard drive icon in the lower left. It should be labeled sda1. Click once on the icon. The File Manager will open. Browse to the folder you want to delete. Right click the folder and select Delete. Make absolutely sure you are deleting the correct folder as there is no going back. Again, if you are not comfortable doing this, then don't.

Edited by Rebbs, 10 October 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#15 Rebbs

Rebbs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

I will try file assain in safe mode first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users