Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What am I hitting that makes my keys all turn into functions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 driz

driz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

I have a HP Envy with Win 8 and it's a year old.  I must be turning on some sort of function inadvertantly and I would like to know what it is and how to shut it off.   Every day or two every key I touch will pop some function like going to files, opening favorites drop down or things like that. This seems to affect all the keys in some way or another.  All I can do is restart it and I am good till next time.     I'm assuming it must be some combination of keys I am hitting by accident.    Can you tell me what this is or more importantly just what to do to end it without restarting every time.    Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

Try HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

or HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Happens on my laptop too, for me it's the windows key that sometimes sticks. Try hitting windows key and the f or e key.Windows key+ f brings up search, windows key + e brings up computer (explorer). If that is what you are talking about then try tapping on your windows key a few times to unstick it. 

#5 driz

driz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

I finally got around to disabling the FN function.   Unfortunately it still does it.   I haven't been able to use the computer much this weekend .   I will keep an eye out for the Windows key sticking F and E key issue but it's hard to figure as the problem is often there for a while before I notice it.    Part of the problem is that I am used to a full size keyboard and bought this one without noticing it's the number pad design.    Live and learn I guess.  That alone has caused me a lot of constant typos.   I thought I would get used to it but after 10 months I still make way to many mistakes.   Add to that the way this particular series has the hop back to the middle some random place in the earlier part of the page without warning and this thing is out of control a lot of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users