Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Suddenly Disappeared From List

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jackflag

jackflag

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hi guys. About a week ago, a weird msg started popping up about my external (F:) hard drive, after which nothing inside of it would show up anymore.

If I clicked on a folder, there'd be nothing in it. Then if I unplugged, and re-plugged, it would all be back like nothing happened. 

Yesterday, the D: drive disappeared from the population list in My Computer altogether, and no matter what I do it doesn't return. I've only tried plugging into different ports and restarting, but that's all I know how to do. I was going to system restore and see if that helped, but this message came up on the screen:

"Changes made to drive(s) D: after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from system restore monitoring, or was turned off or removed"

I have no idea what to do. Literally everything is on that drive. Any suggestions? And thanks in advance for any help, it'd be appreciated. 

Edited by jackflag, 09 October 2014 - 11:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

I suggest trying another system to see if the drive is functioning properly.  This would help in determining where the problem may lie.

Louis

#3 jackflag

jackflag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

Just tried it and the drive didn't show up there either. 

Its a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop harddrive. 

Is there anything at all I can do?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

Is the drive detected in Disk Management? You may need to give it a drive letter but because you tried it on another computer and it did not detect it, I think you will not see it.

It's possible the USB bridge card became defective. You can remove the drive from the enclosure and then attach to your computer using a USB adapter, another enclosure, or internally if you have a desktop computer with an available SATA port.

#5 jackflag

jackflag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, it didnt show in disk management either. I may have to try taking it apart. Thanks for the video, i'll probably have to watch a few of those before I confident I won't mess anything up. I'm not familiar with a SATA port though. I do use a desktop computer (HP Compaq), which method would be best/easiest between USB adapter, another enclosure or a SATA port? And thanks for the reply man.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

The Easiest way would be to use the adapter I linked to at ebay or to buy an external enlosure for the drive. The cheapest to be to connect it internally if you have a desktop. I do not know your computer model number but if it is a XP computer you may only have IDE ports. If you do decide to remove the drive, make sure you ground yourself first and avoid touching the circuit board on the drive.

SATA drives have two cables, usually red, for the power and data.

IDE drives also have two cables, a grey ribbon type and a molex power conntector.

Here is an example of  IDE

and SATA

#7 jackflag

jackflag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Ok, I brought it into work and the IT guy managed to crack it open. He said the files are all still there and the drive is intact but the rest of it is shot. I'm going to buy another HD with more space, as I only had a few more gigs available left anyway, and have him transfer the files from the old one to the new one. Any recommendations to what kind to get?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:45 PM

Personally, I would purchase a 3.5 SATA bare drive and an external enclosure to go with it. Have the it guy assemble it if you don't want to. With 3.5 drives the enclosure would need a additional power adapter. If you want portability, get a bare 2.5 drive and an external enclosure. These do not require a power source. All power is through the USB port. I would stay away from any WD portable drive. Some of those have proprietary interfaces and if those go bad, you are basically out of luck.

The 3.5 enclosure I linked to has a USB 3.0 interface for faster transfers if your computer has USB 3.0 or you get a computer in the future with USB 3.0. Will still work with USB 2.0 ports.

#9 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-External-Hard-Drive-ST310005EXA101-RK/dp/B001UI49XA

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users