Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random shutdown on new build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Replica30

Replica30

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

So I built a new computer for my cousin in July. Everything ran fine, until he played some games on it, and then it would randomly shutdown while playing. Over a day or two the crashes became more frequent, so I told him to update the GFX drivers. Following this, the computer would shut down when launching the game. I assumed it was the drivers, but changing them back with the CD it came with didn't fix anything. Eventually the computer started shutting down while I was looking for ways to fix it, to the point where it would shut off during start up. I RMA'd the GFX card, but the new one did the same thing.

CPU:   Intel core i5-4670K

MoBo:  Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark2 ATX LGA 1150

RAM:   G.Skill Sniper series 2 x 4GB

GFX:    EVGA GTX760 4GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

It's possible that you have faulty hardware, doesn't seem like a driver issue.

From what I can tell, you might have a failing PSU, HDD, or motherboard. 

Have you tried switching out HDD to ensure that your HDD hasn't died?

mYIGVc5.png

#3 Replica30

Replica30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

I've tested the PSU, and also tried other PSUs. The motherboard returned for another, but the new one has the same issue. I suppose it is possible that the new Motherboard is also faulty.

As for the Hard drive, I haven't touched it. It does make sense; the computer runs fine in Bios, and from USB when I was testing the RAM. Can an HDD cause random instant shutdowns? The shutdowns seem to become more frequent the more we use the computer. If I wait a day or so, I can get the computer to fully boot and run fine as long as I don't stress it, but as soon as it crashes it slowly gets worse to the point where it crashes while booting.

#4 Replica30

Replica30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Sorry for the double post, the edit button seems to have oddly disappeared.

We swapped the hard drive, but the system still does the same thing. I was wondering if it might be the case short circuiting the motherboard. It came with standoffs however, we just screwed it on. Is it possible that we used too small or short screws? Other than that, the only thing I didn't swap out is the CPU. From what I've read, there seems to be a power issue with the i5-4670k.

EDIT: I can apparently edit this post, just not the previous two? Again, sorry about that.

Edited by Replica30, 12 October 2014 - 03:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users