Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faster printing/job canceling in Windows 7 and other OS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 golemus

golemus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

It often puzzles me how slow printers are even nowadays in certain tasks. I have.

- from the moment you press enter until the moment that printer starts actually printing there can be delay of tens of seconds.

- from the moment you cancel a print job from windows 7 it can take tens of seconds before printer actually stops printing and in that time a lot of ink and paper is wasted. Sometimes the only way to stop it is to disconnect it or power it off.

So what explains these delays and is there anything that can be done about them...?

By the way I am using USB-printers, I have had these problems at least with Samsung CLP-320 color laser and HP laserjet 1018 laser printer, probably also with HP deskjet something that I had before it.

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2014 - 11:21 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hi,

When a text file is sent to the printer coding is added to instruct the printer how to handle the data. This goes into a buffer and is fed to the printer operation as needed. Both computer and printer can have buffers holding data as it is sent much faster than it can be printed.

I'm not sure if or how that can be 'fixed'. It is hardwired into both pieces of equipment.

When I'm not sure what will come out of the printer I try to print a test page or two to see how my formatting looks in black and white. I still have to put some sheets in the recycle bin but not as many as I used to when I just hit the print key and hoped.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

It is possible.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/946737

Go to Method D. Basically, the batch file deletes and stops the spooler service, which is a temporary point for the printer to access, and thus cancels quickly. This isn't an advisable method to attempt often though.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users