Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI-I adapter and monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Here's the situation as it stands.

Two VGA-ONLY monitors.

One computer with one VGA out and one HDMI out.

The VGA out works properly. Now, for the second monitor, I have a cable from Amazon that is HDMI on one end and DVI-I on the other. However, I need this converted to VGA, so I have an adapter. Now, when I plug this into the adapter, and then into the monitor no signal. So, I thought it might be a problem with Digital/Analog.

Then I tried it on another computer with a GTX660.

This setup has a monitor with DVI-D and VGA and HDMI.

The amazon cable functions perfectly on the HDMI and DVI sides.

When I plug the DVI cable into the DVI-D slot, I receive picture.

When I plug the DVI cable into the DVI-I slot, I also receive picture.

When I plug the DVI cable into either DVI slot and THEN into the adapter, and THEN into the VGA slot, I get NO picture.

Am I missing something or is this adapter DOA?

FWIW, I have two of these adapters from different companies, and neither seems to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

I think it is an analog/digital problem as you suggested.  DVI-I will support both analog and digital, however, when you come out of the PC with HDMI (digital only) it will not jive with the VGA analog.  HDMI (digital)>DVI-I (digital)>VGA (analog) = probably won't work.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the adapters, but for them to work you would have to use a digital to analog converter which are expensive, $200-$300.

#3 AbsoZed

AbsoZed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

I think it is an analog/digital problem as you suggested.  DVI-I will support both analog and digital, however, when you come out of the PC with HDMI (digital only) it will not jive with the VGA analog.  HDMI (digital)>DVI-I (digital)>VGA (analog) = probably won't work.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the adapters, but for them to work you would have to use a digital to analog converter which are expensive, $200-$300.

That makes sense in one regard, my only problem with that is it should work on the second setup which is DVI-I>Adapter>VGA, yet it doesn't.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

I think you need a HDMI to VGA adapter like this.

#5 AbsoZed

AbsoZed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

I think you need a HDMI to VGA adapter like this.

Just bought one actually, from Amazon. :P Thank ya

#6 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

That makes sense in one regard, my only problem with that is it should work on the second setup which is DVI-I>Adapter>VGA, yet it doesn't.

You are still attempting to convert digital to analog.  An adapter is simply a dead piece of wire with a different connector on each end.  It does not convert signals, it simply transfers information.

When you go from DVI (PC) to DVI (Monitor) of course it's going to work, digital to digital.  A DVI-I cable will handle either analog or digital, but it will not convert the signal from one to the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users