Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus' causing my disk to be write protected?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikeinstlouis

mikeinstlouis

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hey all

If this is not the correct place to post, please tell me where to do so.

My 16 GB micro SD card for my Galaxy S3 started to act up a few days ago while I was out of town. I got the "Damaged SD card SD card is damaged. Try reformatting it:" error

I have tried to reboot the phone, remove the card, clean the contacts but no go.
I put another SD card into the phone and it worked great so I don't think it is a phone issue.

I put the SD card into my laptop and everything is there just fine. I would have never known there was an issue. I can see all of my pictures, books etc. 

I copied my files to my laptop.

I tried to run checkdisk...it says the SD card is write protected.

I tried to go to the cmd and do chkdsk. It says it is a FAT file that is write protected.

I went to the cmd and did the DISKPART thing and did the changes to the disk and the volume and it says that neither of them read only (said no)
I tried to do a fix in the registry but that still leads to a DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED ERROR.

I taped the sides of my reader (which works fine for other cards that are not read as write protected)
What am I doing wrong?

I ran my Symatic Antivirus and my malwarebytes and it found 3 or 4 viruses.  

I try to remove the viruses but I can't..cause the dumb disk is WRITE PROTECTED.

i have tried the HD removal tool

I have tried Fileasassin

I have tried Lockhunter

Whenever I try to delete the file they  all say...WRITE PROTECTED.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Mike in St. louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

A lot of SD cards have a small toggle on them that will write protect the card. Make sure it's not toggled to the protect position, see this ...http://www.ehow.com/how_6528281_remove-write-protection-sd-card.html .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users