Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting in Safe Mode broke my PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pootisplank

Pootisplank

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

So here's the story.  I looked in my device manager the other day and my computer wasn't recognizing my Nvidia 750Ti.  Instead it only showed the Intel graphics card.  The day before, everything was working fine, so I thought it had something to do with a new graphics driver that updated.  So after uninstalling the latest graphics driver from Nvidia, I restarted my computer in safe mode through msconfig.  Big mistake.  Right after that, nothing would load on my monitor.  I'm sure that something is broken in the booting process, because the fan starts, the lights turn on, and my keyboard and mouse turn on.  But no matter what I try, nothing shows up on my monitor and it does not respond.  I'm sure that there's nothing wrong with my PC parts, as it just happened after 1 restart.  I tried to restart once in safe mode and boom, wouldn't boot up again.  Pls help?

I'm on windows 8.1

Edited by Pootisplank, 09 October 2014 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

Have you done a cold boot - power off and plug removed for several minutes?

If there is a video port on the motherboard you may have to connect there until you get the graphics card fixed.

A start up repair might also be called for to get things reconfigured for the change in graphics drivers. I'm assuming that you have the default drivers loaded.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Pootisplank

Pootisplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

Have you done a cold boot - power off and plug removed for several minutes?
If there is a video port on the motherboard you may have to connect there until you get the graphics card fixed.
A start up repair might also be called for to get things reconfigured for the change in graphics drivers. I'm assuming that you have the default drivers loaded.
Keep us posted

Dick

Yes I have done a cold boot and there is only 1 video port on the back of my PC. I'm not sure how I would configure anything because my monitor won't display anything. It just says that there is no signal to the VGA cable even though it is plugged in.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

If you have the installation CD try to boot from that

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Pootisplank

Pootisplank
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

ALRIGHT so the problem is fixed.  What happened was my VGA cable was plugged into the wrong outlet after I relocated my PC, so things were bugging out.  As soon as I plugged the VGA cable into the correct area, my computer booted up normally and I was able to exit safe mode and restart and all dat good stuff.  Long Story short, problem was caused by plugging my VGA cable into the wrong place.  

Thanks for your help btw Dick.  I don't think I would've thought of looking at the VGA cables if you didn't mention plugging it into the motherboard.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

Glad all is well

The law of unintended consequences does have it's good side

Stay well and surf safe. We'll be here/

Dick