Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Data?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Housteau

Housteau

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

I am new to Macs and so I may be the one missing something here instead.  My internal HD is around 300 GB on my Mac Mini.  I use it as a high resolution music server with just about everything being stored on external drives.  My internal HD is now just about full and I can't figure out why since I do not store data there, and I can't locate the data that is shown to be there.  My internal HD is shown to be at 280 GB.  Just about all of that is located in the User folder under my user icon since I am the only user.  100 GB is located on the Desktop where I do have some files temporarily stored.  In adding up the contents of all the other folders under my User icon I only have another 20 GB, or so.  There is another 160 GB of data in there somewhere, but where?  What am I missing here, besides that data?  Where else should I look?  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

If you go to the Apple online store & look under Apps - Utilities there are a few applications that will tell you how much space is being used by what on your disk. The one utility I can think of is called Daisy Disk but you have to pay $10 for it; there are free ones I'm sure, just can't think of any names right now. Other folks here will give you more info. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 Housteau

Housteau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Thank you.  I went with the program Disk Inventory X.  It maps everything out and allows you to delete from the program, which is a good thing, because once I found what I was looking for in it I still could not find it outside of it manually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users