- Internet working via ping no problem
- Connections dialogue showing a tick in 'use proxy server' which refused to stay unticked. The Apply buton was dimmed.
- Showing that it was being directed to 127.0.0.1:number. Not a usual port number hence the web block.
- Restored system...negative
- Rebuilt host files, repaired proxy servers, reset internet options, removed all malware using a combination of Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes.
- Restarted still the same problem.
- Restarted in safe-mode which worked so disabled anything I didn't recognise in startup and services (not MS) in msconfig.
- Restarted and all well which indicated that the bug had added an entry to startup and/or a service that the cleaners hadn't managed to clear.
Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal