Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi all! Blocked by a port number!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WINDCAID

WINDCAID

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

Having used bleepingcomputer as a source of info to help my clients for many years, I thought the least I could do was join up and give some time back.....if I can! What prompted this altruistic sign up is a problem I came across today. I was working on a Win7 system that turned out to be heavily infected with malware which I managed to clear, but the persistent problem which had me scratching my head was an unresolved proxy error message on starting any browser. I'll list the problems:
  • Internet working via ping no problem
  • Connections dialogue showing a tick in 'use proxy server' which refused to stay unticked. The Apply buton was dimmed.
  • Showing that it was being directed to 127.0.0.1:number. Not a usual port number hence the web block.
  • Restored system...negative
  • Rebuilt host files, repaired proxy servers, reset internet options, removed all malware using a combination of Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes.
  • Restarted still the same problem.
  • Restarted in safe-mode which worked so disabled anything I didn't recognise in startup and services (not MS) in msconfig.
  • Restarted and all well which indicated that the bug had added an entry to startup and/or a service that the cleaners hadn't managed to clear.
However, it would have been great just to eliminate the port number redirect. Out of interest, is there an easy way to do this like setting up a new rule in the firewall? How can you edit the ports that are being used or is the the host file which was probably being reinfected with every re-boot. I'll ponder till someone enlightens me.

Bob

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

127.0.0.1 the is IP loop back address. Can you see if you can change it?

#3 WINDCAID

WINDCAID
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

That's part of the problem...where do you change it?

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

STEP 1
BY4dvz9.png AdwCleaner

• Please download AdwCleaner and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Right-Click AdwCleaner.exe and select Run as administrator to run the program.
  • Follow the prompts. 
  • Click Scan
  • Upon completion, click Report. A log (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open. Briefly check the log for anything you know to be legitimate. 
  • Ensure anything you know to be legitimate does not have a checkmark, and click Clean
  • Follow the prompts and allow your computer to reboot
  • After rebooting, a log (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open. Copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.

-- File and registry key backups are made for anything removed using this tool. Should a legitimate entry be removed (otherwise known as a 'false-positive'), simple steps can be taken to restore the entry. Please do not overly concern yourself with the contents of AdwCleaner[R0].txt.

STEP 2
rzqZvBe.png MiniToolBox

• Please download MiniToolBox and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Close any open windows.
  • Right-Click MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as administrator to run the program.
  • Check the following items:
    • njvAG80.png
    • 6N6QY9z.png
    • zmWTIXg.png
    • VAFn5gg.png
    • AtULTyM.png
    • 4roTXa5.png
    • kLju9nY.png
    • chxHkm0.png
    • fd89mAB.png
  • Click GO.
  • A log (Result.txt) will be created on your Desktop. Copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.

======================================================

STEP 3
pfNZP4A.png Logs
In your next reply please include the following logs. Please be sure to copy and paste the requested logs, as well as provide information on any questions I may have asked.

• AdwCleaner[S0].txt
  • Result.txt

Edited by Kirbyofdeath, 09 October 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

Moved to Am I Infected.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users