Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 beeps then nothing!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mmol85

mmol85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

Building a new pc with Asus mobo. On power up 2 short beeps then turns off.

Have changed the memory/graphics/sad/sata cables with known serviceable spares and no change.

Any advice on what it could be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

A few things to try:

Check all of your power connections to the motherboard/video card (if required). The motherboard should have a 24 pin connection and a 4 or 8 pin connection.

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to eachother channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only non essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 mmol85

mmol85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Brilliant. Thanks. I'll have a go first thing.

Could it be the cpu? Had difficulty getting to it cos of the associated fan. All parts were new out the box. Cpu Intel I7.
Brilliant. Thanks. I'll have a go first thing.

Could it be the cpu? Had difficulty getting to it cos of the associated fan. All parts were new out the box. Cpu Intel I7.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

If you post the motherboard model number I may be able to tell you more specifically which component may be the cause. Another thing I forgot to mention was to make sure you installed the standoffs between the case and the motherboard, some cases need them, others do not (some cases have them built in). They prevent the solder joints on the motherboard from shorting to the metal case. On new builds I have seen people forget to put them in.

Standoffs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standoff_%28separator%29

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 mmol85

mmol85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Again cheers. I put the stand offs in. Pretty sure I put them all in but again I'll check first thing. The board is the asus z87-k.

The 2 beeps had happened on an earlier build but once memory was 're seated the issue was resolved.

This one has got me perplexed!

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

It shouldn't matter if you missed a standout, as long as the case and the board are not shorting together it should be fine. I would recommend having all of them just in case the board manufacturer intended that spot to be a ground. Run through the list of things above and let me know if anything changes.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

What cpu are you putting in this board? 4770? 4790?

Edited by zingo156, 09 October 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#8 mmol85

mmol85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

Will tell you soon as I'm in work as I'd be guessing otherwise. Really appreciate all help.
And ill run through the above list before commenting on cpu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users