Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd boot menu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mmol85

mmol85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hi, my arrow keys won't let me navigate up and down on my CD boot menu.

They do in the bios (before this menu) and in the gui (after boot menu).

It has worked without any issues for 4 other pc, can someone please advise what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,728 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

I use the + and - keys to navigate up and down my BIOS - might be worth trying on this boot menu.

If not, can you supply some more details, such as what CD this boot menu is on?

I take it from what you say, that whatever bootloader and operating system you are using, is on a CD (or DVD), and not installed on your computer. Is that correct?

#3 mmol85

mmol85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

I tried the + -, nothing. but I should've mentioned that when I tried to press the f keys again this did nothing.

And yes it's not installed on the computer. It's on a DVD. It's a new build you see.

Not sure on cd title. Will be in work first thing and can give exact details.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,728 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

It's a new build you see.

That's useful info as well.

Considering the DVD works on other computers, and you can presumably navigate this same menu on them, I wonder if this thread wouldn't be better off in the hardware section of the forum.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Not sure on cd title.

It has worked without any issues for 4 other pc,

So what is it? Ubuntu, RedHat, Fredora? Try a diffrerent keyboard.

When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hi, my arrow keys won't let me navigate up and down on my CD boot menu.

They do in the bios (before this menu) and in the gui (after boot menu).

It has worked without any issues for 4 other pc, can someone please advise what to do.

I have had a similar experience when I was using a PCI USB expansion card to power my keyboard, so it might be worth making sure your keyboard is plugged into a USB port that is being probed early on in the boot process.

The only other cause (That I am aware of, anyway) would be a rare bug, that mostly affects older systems, where the early boot process can't automatically probe for the keyboard, and a kernel parameter must be set to correct the issue. However, while I did say this mostly affects older hardware, it has been known to occur on some newer hardware too.

Please come back and let us all know if you find a solution.

Edited by Kaosu, 14 October 2014 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users