Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In need of new CPU

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Woyseh

Woyseh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hello there, as a guy with not enough knowledge about PC parts I would love you to answer some of my questions. Like the title says I am in need of new CPU. It has to be atleast 4 core and also I don't think I can get enough money for more that 4 cores. The proplem is that I don't really know if I can get one without changing any of the other parts. So thanks the question number one. I also (if the 4 core would be and option with my current parts) would be thankful for some suggestions about the actual CPU. So here are my specs, I hope you guys will help me with that one :)

TripleCore AMD Athlon II X3 445, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200)
MSI 770-C35/C45 (MS-7599)
OCZ OCZ3V1333LV2G and GoodRAM GR1333D364L9/4G
AMD Radeon HD 5700 series
Tacens Prior 
Cruiser cx500

Edited by Woyseh, 09 October 2014 - 02:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

Here are the CPU support lists for those motherboards (it would help to check which one you have in case a BIOS update is required for the CPU)

MSI 770-C35     MSI 770-C45

They seem to work with the Phenom II X4 (Deneb) and Phenom II X6 (Thuban) CPU 's and these are the most powerful ones you can fit without a motherboard upgrade.

These CPU's are a few years old now, so may not be available new.  Ebay may be a good bet - http://www.ebay.com/sch/CPUs-Processors-/164/i.html?_from=R40|R40&_nkw=phenom+ii

Carefully check any CPU against the support list before considering buying, and if you need a BIOS upgrade, you need to do it before changing the CPU.

Edited by jonuk76, 09 October 2014 - 04:33 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Woyseh

Woyseh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

I have the C45 one. Does that mean I won't have to worry about any BIOS update when I get one of these 2? btw Thank you for that.

#4 Woyseh

Woyseh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Also which one would you choose? AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition 4x3,5GHz or PROCESOR AMD PHENOM II X6 1065T 6x2,9GHz?  

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

Re. the BIOS update - you'd need to check the version installed currently.  The MSI website is not very good, but alongside each processor in the list they have a BIOS file, which I assume is the earliest version required to support that processor.  If you have an earlier BIOS than the one recommended, then you'd need to update.  The latest BIOS is version 1F dated 2011-03-04.  That will support all of the CPU's that work with the motherboard.

To check BIOS version installed you can use CPU-Z and on the Mainboard tab,  it will give the current BIOS version and BIOS date.

Of the two processors, the X4-970 will give slightly better single thread performance, because of it's higher clock speed.  The X6-1065T obviously has six cores, but runs at 600mhz less, however it has the capability to "turbo" to 3.4 Ghz when all cores are not being used.  I think I would go for the X6-1065T.

Passmark comparison of the two, vs the Athlon X3 445 - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=371&cmp[]=391&cmp[]=1533

Edited by jonuk76, 09 October 2014 - 07:06 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Woyseh

Woyseh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

Problem is I don't really know how to update BIOS. I am watching some step by step but their BIOS look different than my.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

Updating the BIOS is quite straightforward, if you are careful.  As I said, verify whether you need to perform an update before you do it.  Careless flashing of the BIOS may make the motherboard unusable.

The easiest way to flash the BIOS is using the utility Live Update 6 which will locate and download the latest BIOS for your hardware, and install it from within Windows.  I have found Windows based BIOS update utilities to be reliable now, but I have not used MSI's software myself.  Make sure no other programs are running while the program is running, and I'd also suggest disabling any anti virus utilities temporarily.  Follow the instructions carefully, including any instructions to reboot when required.  Do NOT interrupt the flashing process, as this may "brick" the motherboard.  Do not attempt it if your PC or Windows installation is unstable and prone to crashing.

The other alternative is to use the DOS based utility included in the BIOS zip file.  It requires making a bootable floppy or USB device.  Generic instructions are provided in the zip file, but they are not great.

Edited by jonuk76, 10 October 2014 - 09:00 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Woyseh

Woyseh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thank you. :>

#9 Woyseh

Woyseh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Okay, one more thing just to be sure. If I will get myself AMD Phenom II X6 1100T which is compatibile with my motherboard can I be sure that it will work fine with other parts of my pc? 

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

The main thing is that it's compatible with the motherboard, which it seems to be.  Power use is a little higher on that processor than the Athlon X3, but I don't think it will be a problem (I'm assuming that's a Corsair 500w PSU you have).

I would consider replacing the CPU cooler if you use a standard AMD one designed for the Athlon.  Or does the Phenom you are looking at come with its own? The 125w Phenom II X6 will generate more heat and it's important to keep that under control.  Something like a CoolerMaster TX3 is cheap, proven and should fit in mini tower cases.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Woyseh

Woyseh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

I will get one of these aswell. That will be it for now. Thank you one more time for all this help I really appreciate that. 

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users