Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot, wont boot in safe mode, wont load repair centre

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 arran678

arran678

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

The other day I updated my laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 17R running Windows 7 home premium, when I updated the computer booted ok took longer than usual, I restarted the laptop but this time it wouldn't boot up, it came up with a black screen saying repair windows(recommended) or start windows normally, I clicked repair windows it said searching for problems, attempting repairs this took about an hour and a half but unfortunately did not resolve the issue I sent the error report to windows, I restarted the laptop again,  attempted booting it in safe mode no luck and the same other various options I can try but no luck they all just crashed the laptop and began restarting it,  tried repairing it again and this time it took my to a screen with various options like load backup open cmd and format my hard drive, loading the backup did nothing and  wasn't sure what to do with cmd so decided to part ways with my stuff and format the hard drive, I did this and the laptop was formatted but the OS was still on the hard drive and it was like the first time I opened it all of my personal things were gone but win 7 home premium was still there, I set it back up again installed AVG anti virus etc downloaded a few movies ran fine the next day it said windows updates need installing so, I  did , 145 updates were made  turned my laptop back on and again it was booting up and crashing followed the steps I mentioned before noting was working after messing around with it for an hour or so I finally got safe mode whilst  in there I did an AVG scan alot of files seemed to be locked and AVG wasn't scanning them,  wasn't sure why AVG wouldn't scan them tried to undo my last update but when I followed win 7's steps it would't allow me to turn on the windows centre thing it told me to turn on, I wasn't sure what to do i thought maybe its a virus or maybe because I'm in safe mode, anyway  restarted it and continued crashing,  went to the repair centre and it searched for errors again found none so I formatted it like last time using the dell data recovery unit( think that's the name of it), formatted it again went through the processes, when i did this last time the pc was ok and started normally like it was brand new,  booted it up but this time it kept crashing again and again safe mode wont open the repair centre just gets stuck on a blue screen every time I'm really stuck on what to do, if anyone can help that would be great. I've tried on other forums but got no help sadly and unfortunately  don't have the Windows 7 installation disk. I would happily totally format the hard drive totally as I have other OS on other disks just not the windows 7 one,

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hello there,

It seems like you did not perform a clean installation of Windows and that's why your system is acting up. 

Follow the steps below to install a new copy of Windows:

1. To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation you will need to start or boot your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive. Insert your Windows 7 disc in your CD/DVD drive. Please note: will need to restart or turn on your system with the disc in the drive. 

2. After turning on your system with the CD in the drive go ahead and press any key when prompted during your computer post routine and then follow the instructions presented on screen. If you don’t see this go back to step 1 to setup your BIOS to boot from CD or USB flash drive depending on your installation media.

3. On the Install Windows page simply enter your preferences and click next.

4. Accept the Windows license agreement.

5. On the “Which type of installation do you want” page go ahead and choose the “Custom” option.

6. Select Drive options (advanced) on the “Where do you want to install Windows” page.

7.  Select the partition that you want to change, choose the formatting option you want to perform and then follow the instructions.

When allocating space choosing the default MB size for your drive is typically the best for most users since you want to take full advantage of all your disk space.

8. Click “Next” for the installation to proceed.

Hope this helps!

Edited by masterthemachines, 10 October 2014 - 05:05 AM.

#3 arran678

arran678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback

Unfortunately I don't have the disk is there a way I can get it or alternate method  ?

#4 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

You would need a disk to perform a clean installation unfortunately. 

#5 arran678

arran678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Where would i be able to get one ?

#6 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

You can purchase the CD online, Amazon is a trusted source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-English/dp/B00H09BB16/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1412871843&sr=1-1&keywords=windows+7

Hope this helps

#7 arran678

arran678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thanks very much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users