Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Cleaning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RedBullSugarfree

RedBullSugarfree

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

I am opening my sony vaio to clean out the dust. When I opened it I saw a piece of grey substance, my first guess is that it was a thermal compound. I think it was left in at the factory by accident. I've scoured the internet for pics of inside a sony vaio and have not found this block of clay in any other laptop. I'm almost sure it was by mistake but would like some experienced help with this before I throw it out. It has so much dust it would be nearly impossible to remove every piece of dust and lint from it.

What is it? 

The measurements of the hard clay/putty structure (thermal compound?) are 4.5 x 1 x 1 cm

View images here

Edited by RedBullSugarfree, 09 October 2014 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

It certainly has the appearance of a thermal pad, likely intended to conduct heat from a chip to the casing of the laptop. It probably initially adhered to the casing and dropped away as it was dismantled. Does the square imprint on it match the BGA chip at the top of the third image, behind the fan assembly? There also seems to be a couple of surface mount component imprints. I suspect it would be supposed to conduct heat away from that chip into the bottom of the casing when the clamshell is secured closed, to clamp it in between.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 RedBullSugarfree

RedBullSugarfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

The indents are diagonal which makes me think if it does not belong where I found it and it fell off at some point. I wonder if it should sit on top of the heatsink between the CPU and GPU? I have a support request into Sony but my warranty already expired so they may not give me a solid answer. It collects so much dust and just seems so out of place anywhere in the computer.

#4 RedBullSugarfree

RedBullSugarfree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

I updated the images

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

It looks like a small piece of thermal foam, kind of like a shuttle tile.  It looks like it was sandwitched between the top of the heat pipe (the copper piping) it the processor and the case it self.  Meant to keep the case a safe distance from the top of the heatsink/heatpipe assembly so the plastic case won't melt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users