Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CombiFix won't run on Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PickersAngel

PickersAngel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Troubleshooting a constantly flashing desktop (alternates between theme color and normal desktop) and windows that disappear when they refresh.  CombiFix was suggested, but refuses to run because "Windows 2000 is no longer supported".  I've never used Windows 2000 on any of my machines.  Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

Combofix should not be run without the guidance of a member of the Malware Removal Team.  Combofix is considered to be a malware tool and can't be posted in the Windows forums.  But the bottom line here is that Combofix is not compatible with Windows 8/8.1.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Have you tried Safe Mode to see if this is present there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PickersAngel

PickersAngel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

I believe the problem might have been Aero Peek, which somehow was enabled without my knowing.  I was also experiencing disappearing windows when I switched from mouse to keyboard, e.g. when typing in chat or text boxes.  Once I disabled it, the "issues" stopped.  I saw elsewhere that CombiFix doesn't work in Win 8.1.  Thanks for the response.  :)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

Aero Peek is a Windows application,it was introduced in Windows 7.  In Windows 8/8.1 it is called PEEK at Desktop.  

Glad to hear you resolved this issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

Please read  ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Note: Although not listed in the Authorized Guide, ComboFix will generally run on Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit).

ComboFix is not compatible with Windows 8.1 yet so you cannot get it to run...see the review comments on the authorized download page. If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 8.1, it should provide a message alert: ComboFix is not meant to run in 'Compatibility Mode' and exit. This message is intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on that operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users