Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezing of Mouse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mathion

Mathion

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:38 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548779/keyboard-and-mouse-randomly-not-being-recognized/ - Hamluis.

This, too, is my problem and it's extremely annoying.  It started about a month ago - or around the time of the September Win 7 updates.

Computer Specs:  (Built 04/13/13 and put into regular use in September 2013)

ASRock Z75 Pro3 MB

8 GB RAM

Intel i5-3450 CPU

2 1 TB hard drives, 1 2TB hard drive, all with at least 50% or more free space.

I have an extra USB card off the PCI on the MB (I was tired of powering hubs).

650 Watt PS

NVidia GEForce GTX 650 Ti

Logitech G5 gaming mouse (moderately old)

Logitech K740 Illuminated Keyboard (Moderately new)

Razr n52te gaming pad

Complaint: Random freezing of mouse. 

Symptoms: Usually, the mouse will freeze for no apparent reason.  It requires unplugging and plugging it back in to get it to work.  Firefox (most recent version) is usually running (even in the background), but the mouse has frozen in every program I've had up at one point or another, so it doesn't seem to be directly related to FF.  It freezes at least once or twice a day.  Computer activity or heat don't seem to be a factor.

A few times, plugging the mouse back into the same port will not work, but plugging it into another one will. (I have best luck plugging it into the add-on USB card, but not always).

On occasion, the mouse will not restart after being plugged back in.  Changing ports has helped in some cases.  In a few, it has not and the computer had to be rebooted to get functionality back.  When these instances happen the lights on the mouse flash in an irregular pattern (2-1-2-1-2).  Plugging another rmouse in will not solve that problem.  When the lights flash, the computer always has to be restarted.

Twice, I tried a second mouse and it failed (and flashed) as well regardless of what port it was plugged into.

ONCE (And ONLY once) the keyboard joined in on the fun and was flashing off and on.  This required a hard shut-off of the computer since no input device was working except the game pad.  No other USB ports seem to be affected when the mouse goes wonky. 

The problem has only ever happened twice in one day ONCE.  The computer is shut down at night except Sundays, when it backs itself up.

Other history at or near time of first occurrance.

• Windows Updates for September.
  • Firefox updated from V22 to V32.0.1. 
  • Aniweather plug-in added.
  • Comodo Internet Security Pro updates.

Freezing always occurs on movement (I'll be moving the mouse and it will stop.  It's never happened where I'm not moving the mouse and it suddenly won't move again).

Freezing (may) always occur with simultaneous input (key click, simultaneous mouse button click, scrolling and moving).  I say "may" because it seems to me it's usually when I'm in the middle of something like a game, scrolling, editing, or some such thing when multiple imputs from KB, mouse or game pad can be happening while moving the mouse.  But I'm not 100% sure that's always been the case.

I can not reliably reproduce the freezing.

Things that don't affect it:

• What program is running (It's happened at least once in each of my usual programs)
  • CPU usage.
  • Memory usage.
  • Devices plugged in (I'll have my phone charging every so often or a camera downloading pictures or some other device plugged in.

What I've done:

• I have flashed the BIOS with the most recent update and installed USB port power boosters (AppCharger).
  • All other drivers for the MB are current (not recently updated, either)
  • The mouse has no mouse-specific drivers.  No new drivers for the keyboard or the game pad exist.  NVidia drivers were updated several months ago (before the problem started) and I had no apparent problems for several months.
  • I checked to see if Windows was disabling USB ports in power management of the Device Manager for USB ports/hubs, HID compliant devices and Mouse, and the option to turn them off was greyed out.  (I always turn off all hibernation, sleep and suspend options on plugged in computers, with the exception of turning the monitor off after 20 minutes of inactivity, so it wasn't unexpected).  The comptuer never suspends or brings up the log-in screen on resume.
  • Moved the mouse and keyboard to the plug-in card and off the main USB buses.  The mouse issue persists.
  • I tried disabling non-Microsoft services/programs.  Problem persists.
  • I tried disabling the precision pointing in the Control panel, but it wasn't enabled.
  • Full, deep virus scans show no threats.

My thoughts:

1. Possible intermittant failure of USB bus (unlikely since other devices on the exact same bus still work and the mouse doesn't).

2. Some update has caused mouse issues and the timing suggests Windows Updates.  The following updates were installed:

• All Microsoft .NET 4 Framework Client Profile and Extended updates on September 11, 2014 (Including the 4.0.3 updates)
  • Windows security updates KB2982378, KB2977629, KB2973112, KB2972211 and KB2894844 (All on 9/11/2014)
  • The previous month's updates had been installed about two weeks prior, but I don't recall any problems after those.

3. Some other issue I've overlooked.

If it weren't for the fact the problem seems unusually focused on the MOUSE and only the mouse (I don't know why the keyboard did weird things that one time, so I'm not sure whether that's related or not, even though the disabling of them happened at the same time), I'd say I had a general USB issue, which should be taken care of by the extra USB port card.  But that's affected, too.  And the problem only extends (for the most part) to the mouse.  The one I have IS old, but I tried replacing it wtih another one, and the problem persists.  The keyboard issue only ever happened the one time and hasn't repeated.

I consider myself to be somewhat more knowledgable about computers than the average user, but I'm stumped on this one.  I'll admit I haven't looked at the BIOS settings, but those hadn't changed before I flashed it to fix this problem, and I noticed no differences after I flashed it (the mouse has still frozen once).  If it weren't for the fact the other mouse didn't work those few times, I'd say it was the mouse (I'm considering a new one, but when a device goes, it usually just dies altogether and I can't get a G5 anymore -sobs-).  It MIGHT be the mouse and the other problems were unrelated, or caused by the mouse and resolved once the comptuer was rebooted.  But like I said, almost all device failures reproduce the same symptoms relatively reliably and this is very random.

Unless I'm doing some esoteric mouse/KB input that kills all mice without affecting anything else, I can't explain why this is happening, and I don't think I'm doing the same thing each time it happens.  But it's POSSIBLE it's usually as I'm moving the mouse to the left when it freezes (I do that a lot since I often reposition the mouse to the left when writing or accessing things, so it may just be the law of averages.  I'm not sure that has anything to do with it, and can't think of any reason why it would.)

So, I'm baffled.  Any suggestions?

Edited by Mathion, 09 October 2014 - 02:25 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mathion

Mathion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

As a follow up:

There are two things I didn't mention because I didn't think them relevant, but they may actually be based on the mouse behavior over the last two to three days (since I posted above).  I updated LibreOffice to the 4.3.2.2 version (From 4.2.1.1).  I almost always have that running in the background.  I also disabled the "aniweather" add-on in Firefox, which was also almost always running, too.

Since I posted, (and the above two things were done around the same time) I've had no mouse freezes at all.  None.  Zip.  Zilch.  Nada.  The AniWeather addon was added when I upgraded to Firefox (most current version) because my old weather forecaster/conditions add-on didn't work in the latest version.  I still don't know if one, the other, or both, or neither had anything to do with the mouse freezing, and I don't know for sure the problem has resolved.  I do know that it was freezing up at least once or even twice a day up to the day I posted, did one time shortly after that, then hasn't frozen at all since.  It's been close to three days.

Right now, considering AniWeather's features on mouseover, that it was added in the time frame that the mouse freezing started, and the mouse started working fine after I disabled the add-on (which is what I didn't mention doing), I'm looking at it as the prime suspect, though I'm still not sure about how it could cause it when I'm in a game, unless its updating glitches and locks up the mouse.  I had the previous version of LibreOffice since it was released and didn't have any mouse-locking until about a month ago (give or take a week).  I'll try re-enabling it to see if the mouse starts randomly locking up on a more frequent basis again.  If it does, we have a culprit and the AniWeather dev will get a nasty-gram from me.  If not, well, I expect it will lock up again sooner or later since nothing else has been done to address the problem.

#3 Mathion

Mathion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:25 PM

Okay, no one helped, but I solved the problem.

The issue is with the weather plug-ins I have in Firefox.  Once I disabled those, I haven't had any mouse freezing at all.  I don't expect this is a common issue, but for those who have Firefox running in the background, and if it happens, make sure your weather-reporting plugins are disabled BEFORE pulling out your hair.  Hairpieces are expensive unless you don't mind looking like you have a dead rodent on your head.

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

Glad you were able to sort things out.

Thanks for explaining how you solved things - that could help others who come across a similar problem in the future.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users