Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An "Upgrade" From Windows 8.1 32-bit to 64-bit; data loss question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AlexMERCER77

AlexMERCER77

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

I'm planning on installing Windows 8.1 64-bit on my existing Windows 8.1 32-bit system.

SYSTEM SPECS:

1. ASUS P8B75-M

2. Intel® Core™ i5-3470 @ 3.20 GHz

3. GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3

4. 4GB RAM 

5. 1TB HDD x1 (three partitions)

I have an .iso file for the Windows 8.1 64-bit installation, but I can't seem to use it with virtual drives. I assume I'll have to use a bootable USB instead.

So my question is: during the installation, will I lose all of the data from my HDD, or only particularly from the partition I'm installing to? And if it's the second case, will I lose all the data from the partition, or only Windows apps and data from the Program Files, Windows and Users folders (while keeping all other data from other folders intact)?

Regards,

AlexMERCER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users