Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Displayport to HDMI quality loss?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerhawkins1033

Rogerhawkins1033

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

Hi. I'm in the market to upgrade my graphics card and get a new TV, but I've come to find very little, or too vague answers regarding any quality loss between Displayport and HDMI. I can't seem to get a straight yes or no answer, or when I do, I find conflicting arguments and I don't know who to believe.

I am planning to upgrade my graphics card to the GTX Titan Z http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121874 which is capable of running over 4k resolution.

I am also planning on purchasing a new 4k TV, and would like to run at 60fps.

I am aware that HDMI 1.4 has limitations in those regards, but Displayport, from what I've heard, will provide the highest quality display. Unfortunately its near impossible to find a 4k tv with a displayport at any reasonable price. So my question is, if I use an adapter from displayport to HDMI, am I losing the quality that displayport provides, and getting essentially downgraded back to HDMI quality?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

Assuming you find a TV with HDMI 2.0 (I don't own any 2K/4K TVs so I don't know the basis for it) then HDMI will be fine, as 2.0 allows it to run 4K at 60fps.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:03 PM

GTX Titan Z is completely stupid for gaming and purely for running 4K. The Titan Z is designed for heavy use for workstation PCs, and using it purely to display 4K is a complete waste of money. 

The GTX980 would be more worth your money.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users