Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any upgrade suggestions? Speccy details included.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:06 AM

I was given a Dell XPS 420 and have just now got it up and running.  I would like to use it to multi-track record, edit video, and play modern games on.  I just now ran Speccy and would like to know of any practical upgrades you would make.

Here are the details, thanks in advance.

CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz    38 °C
    Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0TP406 (CPU)
Graphics
    RS95 (1360x768@60Hz)
    896MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (EVGA)    52 °C
Hard Drives
    233GB Seagate ST3250310AS (SATA)    39 °C
    149GB SAMSUNG HD160JJ/P (SATA)    44 °C
Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H493B
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B
Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:14 AM

More memory and a better graphics card is what I would recommend. Go up to 8 GB memory and to keep a decent budget, maybe a Nvidia GTX 560? Your processor is decent and you could benefit from an SSD hard drive, but they are still a bit pricey. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

More memory and a better graphics card is what I would recommend. Go up to 8 GB memory and to keep a decent budget, maybe a Nvidia GTX 560? Your processor is decent and you could benefit from an SSD hard drive, but they are still a bit pricey. 

Thanks,

I think I may just hold off then, if I go for 3 upgrades, might as well just go the distance with a new build. 

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

Always a good idea to start a new build. That and you can sell your old one and get some money back for it :D

Gavin Seabrook

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Is the memory in your PC a) 2 x 2Gb modules or b) 4 x 1Gb?  Speccy will say in the full report under the RAM section.  This will determine if you would need to a) add two more memory modules to make 8Gb or b) replace the lot. Replacing all of them is obviously more costly.

In terms of priority, a new video card would make the most immediate improvement to games, while I suspect extra RAM would help more with performance while editing large video files etc, if you have a 64 bit O/S.  Almost any modern video card from $100 up (e.g. R7-260X or GTX 750 level) would be a worthwhile upgrade. $120 would get you a R7-265 or GTX 750 Ti while some R9 270X's are currently selling around the $150 level.  GPUBoss allows you to make a quick comparison between different cards (bear in mind some of the info on that site should be taken with a pinch of salt though).

An SSD I would class as a nice to have.

Edited by jonuk76, 11 October 2014 - 09:52 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:22 AM

Is the memory in your PC a) 2 x 2Gb modules or B) 4 x 1Gb?  Speccy will say in the full report under the RAM section.  This will determine if you would need to a) add two more memory modules to make 8Gb or B) replace the lot. Replacing all of them is obviously more costly.

In terms of priority, a new video card would make the most immediate improvement to games, while I suspect extra RAM would help more with performance while editing large video files etc, if you have a 64 bit O/S.  Almost any modern video card from $100 up (e.g. R7-260X or GTX 750 level) would be a worthwhile upgrade. $120 would get you a R7-265 or GTX 750 Ti while some R9 270X's are currently selling around the $150 level.  GPUBoss allows you to make a quick comparison between different cards (bear in mind some of the info on that site should be taken with a pinch of salt though).

Thanks, and....

"You are tearing me apart Lisa"....

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hahaha, don't worry about it!  :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Stephanie_Says

Stephanie_Says
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Is the memory in your PC a) 2 x 2Gb modules or B) 4 x 1Gb?  Speccy will say in the full report under the RAM section.  This will determine if you would need to a) add two more memory modules to make 8Gb or B) replace the lot. Replacing all of them is obviously more costly.

Thanks, and....

"You are tearing me apart Lisa"....

Oh and yeah,

It's got 4 sticks of 1 gig memory (all slots filled), so I'm guessing I have to take them all out to put a 8gb stick in there if I want to upgrade the memory?

I think I'm going to hold off upgrading and save for a couple of months and just spend $500 on building a tower.  I've been looking at websites that guys are just giving lists of parts to build a complete tower for different price ranges.

Building doesnt seem too hard, but it's a little scary, but when I compare what I can build for $500 to a pre built tower that goes for $500, there is a large jump in quality.

But then again, I'm looking at retail stores and dell direct.  Am I missing something?  Is there anywhere where you can get a tower built for the price of parts?  Or close?  I wouldnt assume so, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks. 

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, you'd have to replace all the RAM with 2Gb modules, which are the largest supported, unfortunately.

Honestly, no-one is going to build a system for free (unless you can talk a techie friend or relative into doing it!!).  So there is always going to be some mark up for the work involved.  Sometimes what drops is the quality of the components, so they offer the same headline spec but base it on a very basic cheap motherboard or make savings on the power supply, case and that type of thing.  One of the big advantages of building your own is you know exactly what components you're using.

Major OEM builders do get better deals on bulk buying, particularly things like Windows licenses are much cheaper for them compared with the rest of us.. 

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users