Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Public Wifi/Wired Internet Question-Help Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:52 AM

Hello, I know the dangers of using public unsecured Wifi or wired connections, such as, those at hotels.

I am thinking about purchasing a VPN based public wifi protection firewall, such as, the one offered by Comodo, Comodo TrustConnect for vacation

TrustConnect Wi-Fi Internet Security Features:
Securely encrypts all data transmitted over both wired and wireless Internet connections
Creates a Virtual Private Network to hide all personal web-surfing information
Utilizes industry-standard 128-bit encryption

Is it going to be the equivalent of my home wifi that is secure with password?

Any other products you guys know of and trust for this purposes?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:20 AM

Generally this would be similar to using a proxy server when connected to another network. There are software based options available for proxy VPN services online that are relatively inexpensive (roughly $30.00 per year) and is as simple as opening a software and using a username and password to login.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

Your email needs a decent password, and other private details need very good Virus type protection.

I would just hope that you have a very good Antivirus program and Antimalware program installed as your first defense, and a Firewall to help you.

Be sure that they scan on a regular basis, so that you are protected .............

Once you have a very good updated prevention base set up, it is OK where ever you roam with your laptop / tablet system.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

Be aware that VPN doesn't always work with hotel WiFi/Ethernet, sometimes they block this traffic.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 jjones312

jjones312

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Your email needs a decent password, and other private details need very good Virus type protection.

I would just hope that you have a very good Antivirus program and Antimalware program installed as your first defense, and a Firewall to help you.

Be sure that they scan on a regular basis, so that you are protected .............

Once you have a very good updated prevention base set up, it is OK where ever you roam with your laptop / tablet system.

all good information here but I would expand on "decent password" and say that a STRONG password is always required.   Working in the federal space I've become custom to using lengthy password and now I opt for 2-factor when ever possible.  

My thought on a good password.  14 characters or more, uses of at least 2 alph-numeric, 2 numeric, and 2 special characters at all times.

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hello, I know the dangers of using public unsecured Wifi or wired connections, such as, those at hotels.

I am thinking about purchasing a VPN based public wifi protection firewall, such as, the one offered by Comodo, Comodo TrustConnect for vacation

TrustConnect Wi-Fi Internet Security Features:
Securely encrypts all data transmitted over both wired and wireless Internet connections
Creates a Virtual Private Network to hide all personal web-surfing information
Utilizes industry-standard 128-bit encryption

Thanks!

http://www.ubnt.com/enterprise/

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users