Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG PC TuneUp killed my laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 supermozzie

supermozzie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:56 PM

I installed and ran AVG PC TuneUp for the 1st time. It scanned the laptop and removed all the "threats" and asked for a reboot. After the laptop is re-started it got stuck at the "Windows is starting..." screen. I can hear the hard disk spinning.

When i tried to start it up in safe mode, it got stuck at the "Loading Windows Files" screen after some files are loaded. Attached File  IMG_20141007_225309069.jpg   185.43KB   0 downloads The hard disk can be heard spinning and the laptop heating up.

I also tried using the usb drive to boot up the machine, and selected to repair the OS. In the System Recovery Options Attached File  IMG_20141009_130020069_HDR.jpg   161.21KB   0 downloads, i selected "Use recover tools that can help fix problems starting Windows. Select an operating system to repair. If you operating system isn't listed, click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks." Nothing was listed, so i went to the HP site and downloaded the Intel Rapid Driver onto the USB drive and selected that, but an error message saying "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware." Attached File  IMG_20141009_133429417.jpg   155.34KB   0 downloads

So now i'm stuck. Please please please help!

Spec:

Laptop Model: HP Envy 6-1010TU

OS: Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit (original OS that came with the laptop)

Edited by supermozzie, 09 October 2014 - 12:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

Boot from the USB install stick again and just click "Next" even though there is no OS listed (don't try to "load drivers") you should get this:

repair.jpg

Choose startup repair which wil attempt to recover the boot sector of your computer... sometimes it may take running a startup repair 3 or more times (rebooting the computer after each time) before it fully fixes the startup issue:

Startup Repair

Hopefully you'll be able to boot into Windows at which point I'd run the sfc /scannow  command, who knows what other valuable system files this AVG PC TuneUp drek may have trashed; SFC likewise may take running multiple times to fully correct integrity violations:

How to Repair Windows 7 System Files with System File Checker

HTH :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 09 October 2014 - 12:45 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

AVG PC Tuneup and similar programs...have dubious value and BC does NOT support the use of such for good reasons.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

#4 supermozzie

supermozzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

@Union_Thug Thank you so much for the reply.

When i tried booting from USB again, it didn't work this time and went straight to the screen with the choices to start up in safe modes or normally. I selected the normal Windows mode, not expecting it to go through, but it did. I followed your suggestion to run the sfc /scannow command and the result showed no errors.

So somehow, something was fixed during the two days i spent rebooting. Still i'm grateful to have a community i can turn to when i'm in panic mode. Thank you.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

You're welcome & I'm glad you got it sorted out :)

#6 Aberrant

Aberrant

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

Does BC placed an indication or markings that a particular problem like this is already been solved or fixed? I'm on mobile and I dont know if this is present with the desktop version. It would be great and helpful for others having similar problem on their system knowing that this topic has already been solved and that they could directly point into the solution.

Edited by Aberrant, 09 October 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

Aberrant, no the Topics aren't marked as Solved, but most should be able to see this one is done, and hopefully the OP will take the necessary actions to ensure it doesn't happen again.  :)

Very few computer situations are truly "similar", IMO, due to different users, different problems, and the possibility of malware and hardware problems resulting in general error messages that cover varied situations.

IMO, it's best to initiate a topic of your own, with its own peculiar circumstances...rather than assume that you have an identical situation with another member.

Louis

#8 supermozzie

supermozzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hello, sorry this is my first post ever, how do i mark the topic as solved?

Thanks.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:36 AM

supermozzie, we differ from the way some forums handles things. Some has a "Mark as Solved", "Thanks", and other things, when the Topic is solved, other members should see that it is. 

And too, while we hope it's not the case, sometimes the issue recurs. In this case, the one who creates the Topic can revisit w/out having to create a new one. 

Generally over a short time, it'll fade away. Responding keeps it alive, so if it's solved, that's great, just bow out and let it be. 

Thank you for inquiry though, we take these into consideration as rules/policies are revised.  :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users