Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Za Free Version 6.5.7 Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:47 AM

Okay so this is sort of frustrating since it was such a hassle for me to even download this version of ZA's free firewall from their site...

It was working beautifully, but now when I try and open my web browser (only if none are already open) then it doesn't work and I get an error saying it couldn't connect and to try again.

The only way for me to rectify this situation is to shut down ZA and open Firefox, and then restart it...Or to restart my computer. Once my browser is loaded, everything seems to be fine...I can open new tabs and windows as usual...this behavior seems to be eradic and is definitely caused by the firewall. Anyone got any ideas about how to fix this? Anyone else experience this with the new ZA firewall?
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Harry83

Harry83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:54 AM

Well it appears no one else has this problem? I guess I'll have to reinstall it and see if that helps...or switch back to the old version...
--
Harry83
Posted Image

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

Try some/all of these (initial setup takes time, but believe me, you'll get there)
1. Do you see Firefox in the Program control list? you should. Give it ACCESS (2 checks) in the trusted zone, and internet zone. IF you have a router, also give it SERVER rights but only in the TRUSTED zone.
2. Under Privacy, right click on the site you're trying to go to. Right click site name. One by one give it some rights.
3. If this fails, remove Firefox from the programs list, try to access again, and when alert pops up, Allow it & tell it to remember.
4. If you have a router AND if it changes your IP address on you, first attempt to get to the internet by any means (IE or google, or whatever) fails, at which point hit View > Refresh and you'll get there. I had that problem when my router was changing IP address on me every hour :thumbsup:

Last resort: Unlikely to need since you just installed, but when database gets messed up, hold onto this procedure
1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder (all your settings will be gone).
4. Reboot into the normal mode.

Disclaimer: I don't use Firefox (yet), and I use ZoneAlarm suite which has more controls than the equally fabulous fre version, so some of my wording may not be precise.
Oh, I see Bill Cherry's advice here
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=25846
Don't be intimidated by how many problems you see reported, they're the usual initial issues. Also be careful on that id=25846 - it'll change (WHY???) so in couple hours the link won't take you there :flowers:

Edited by tos226, 12 June 2006 - 02:40 PM.

#4 Harry83

Harry83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

I actually did steps 1 and 3 earlier on this morning and it seems to be working now...hopefully it won't start acting weird again. If it does I'm just going to reinstall and start over...this is exactly the reason why I haven't tested out all of the other free firewalls on my system...they're annoying to setup! lol Thanks for the advice
--
Harry83
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users