Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to Start Defender

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nici

Nici

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

I cannot seem to get windows defender started. To save time, I followed "Broni's" analysis and placed the result logs below. Can anyone translate the logs and let me know if I have a virus?

Thank you in Advance for your time.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2014 - 11:17 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

Personally, I think Windows Defender is a waste of resources. I always disable it on all systems (by disabling the Windows Defender Service). Instead, just use a GOOD Anti Virus App supplemented by periodic scans with MalwareBytes. Most important, of course, is common sense (don't open unknown email attachments, don't download anything unless you are 100% certain it is safe, etc).

#3 Nici

Nici
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thanx for the heads up, but, I am a bit paranoid and do not think that my Norton Internet 360 is all that great. It seems to miss a lot compared to Malwarebytes. I even used the Power eraser, but, I feel that there is something there. Anything that is security seems to not work at all or give me and error first then suddenly it may work.

Worried!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

Do NOT use two AV's on your PC. They will definitely conflict with each other, and you will end up with more trouble than you bargained for !

Just to give you an idea....I use Avira free. ....Malwarebytes (Paid version)..........Malwarebytes anti exploit Free......+  an occasional scan with Eset online scanner.. I also ensure programs etc are up to date with either Secunia PSI or Ninite. .....+ a seriously good dollop of common sense

(if you would like links to any of these, just tell me....I am not saying this is the perfect setup, but I have been malware free, virus free, adware free etc etc since shortly after joining BC (2011)... having my system cleaned up and then following the advice of the person helping me.

If you want a Paid AV....Eset is considered to be quite good.

Following the "Am I Infected" forum on BC for a short time will give you a really good idea of the "traps" that people fall for.....a quite high percentage of the traps are not traps at all.......they are the result of people clicking on something they really know they should not have......

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

Please run the following.  Post the logs in your topic.  Do not wrap these in code or quotes.  Do not use a host website to post these.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  After clicking on the link the download will start automatically.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  If this is the first time you have run this version of Malwarbytes you will see an image like the one below.

mbam1_zps95cc812c.png

Click on Update Now, after Malwarebytes is updated click on Scan.

If this isn't the first time you have run this version, then you will see an image like the one below.  Click on Scan

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

You will be prompted to update Malwarebytes, to do so click on Update Now.

mbam2_zps85f38f0c.png

3)  The scan will automatically run now.

mbamreplace_zps3ead4824.png

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Quarantine All, then click on Apply Actions

mbam4_zps23e52ad4.png

5)  To complete any actions taken you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes

mbam4_zps490948cc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to have the time to allow this to run till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

• Click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • The ESET Online Scanner page will open, click on Yes, I agree to the trems of use, then click on Start, the scan will now begine.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Edited by dc3, 10 October 2014 - 10:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

...Norton Internet 360...

To be perfectly blunt: Norton 360 sucks. Sorry but it's true. In fact, anything Norton or Symantec sucks.

However, a few things to know:

Never run more than one antivirus on a PC. 

Norton 360 takes over the machine that includes Windows Defender, Firewall and so on

-With the previous mention you will find things such as Windows Defender and Firewall will fail to start or/and controlled by...yup you guessed it...Norton. 

So as long as your Norton is running (which from the 1st report I believe it is) you will have issues such as the one you are describing.

So first you need to decide do you:

A. Want to stick to Norton

B. Go elsewhere

If you want to go elsewhere such as Defender or whatever else I would remove Norton 360 entirely off the PC first. Then run their clean-up tool (do a Google search for that).

After that and a reboot see if you can then run the things you want. Also, Windows Defender has a service that if you goto RUN services.msc you can see if the service is even started but while Norton 360 is on the PC it probably won't.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

To be perfectly blunt: Norton 360 sucks. Sorry but it's true. In fact, anything Norton or Symantec sucks.

No, it's not true. It's your opinion. While Symantec/Norton went through a period when their products were less than ideal, their current offerings are up to their old standards. Norton provides excellent protection products and receives outstanding ratings from industry experts.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

This is a personal opinion.

Edit:  I see that Allan was quicker to post the same sentiments.

There are members here who use Norton 360 and are quite pleased with it.

Just for the record, I'm using Avast! 2014.

Edited by dc3, 10 October 2014 - 11:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

Your RKill log shows you are using Windows 8.1 Pro.

Windows Defender on Windows 8 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

If a third party trial anti-virus came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one yourself, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts since it includes anti-virus protection. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

No, it's not true. It's your opinion. While Symantec/Norton went through a period when their products were less than ideal, their current offerings are up to their old standards. Norton provides excellent protection products and receives outstanding ratings from industry experts.

I also agree with Allan and dc3.

#11 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

Fair enough. But are we or are we not allowed to express our opinion after supporting such products for many years?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

Anyone can express their opinion about a product but be prepared to have that opinion countered by others especially without backing it up with facts. To simply say a program is no good does not mean others who use if feel the same way.

#13 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

Anyone can express their opinion about a product but be prepared to have that opinion countered by others especially without backing it up with facts. To simply say a program is no good does not mean others who use if feel the same way.

Fair Enough

***Note***

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

AND - if you are expressing an opinion that's how you should phrase it (ie, "in my opinion I don't care for Norton products"). Rather, you made it sound as though it was an absolute fact - which it clearly is not.

#15 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

AND - if you are expressing an opinion that's how you should phrase it (ie, "in my opinion I don't care for Norton products"). Rather, you made it sound as though it was an absolute fact - which it clearly is not.

I got it already. You guys and mods (and not saying everyone on this forum) have been a little too quick to correct me, beat a dead horse, or/and like to point out I missed something "already said". It's getting old. 

Let it go!

***Note***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users