Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot up.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jarod1

Jarod1

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hello, my computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 that is running Windows XP that is currently using four 1 GB RAM modules. I have a error that is occurring where my computer will not boot up. The diagnostic lights in the back have the colors: A, B (green) and C, D (yellow). When I referred to the Service Manual, they said to do this;

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-4700_service%20manual_en-us.pdf
1. Determine if a conflict exists by removing a card (not a graphics card) and restarting the computer.
2. If the problem persists, reinstall the card that you removed, remove a different card, and then restart the computer.
3. Repeat this process for each card. If the computer starts normally, troubleshoot the last card removed from the computer for resource conflicts (see your Owner's Manual).
4. If the problem persists, contact Dell (see your Owner's Manual).

If I understand correctly, it's telling me to remove a RAM module individually, leaving 3 in each time then start my computer up to see if it will boot correctly, is this right? And if it is, is it safe to leave 3 RAM modules in like that.

The only actions I've taken are to remove dust and removing my graphics card then reconnecting my default and trying to boot up but the error still occurs.

Edited by Jarod1, 08 October 2014 - 10:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

If I understand correctly, it's telling me to remove a RAM module individually, leaving 3 in each time then start my computer up to see if it will boot correctly, is this right? And if it is, is it safe to leave 3 RAM modules in like that.

Try using 1 stick only and check the difference. What particular error message, is it a Bluescreen?

Tekken

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

No, it's talking about expansion cards such as sound cards or network cards. It's not talking about the ram at all.

Try removing all unnecessary cards and usb devices.

#4 Jarod1

Jarod1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Try using 1 stick only and check the difference. What particular error message, is it a Bluescreen?

It starts off on the start-up screen that allows you access the set up menu (f2) or boot menu (f12) then it proceeds to the next screen which is just black and has a white "_" in the top  left. and stays there indefinitely,

Edited by Jarod1, 09 October 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

It looks like things may have gotten a bit scrambled, so my first check would be the CMOS battery.  Past that, check out the setup and boot menu's as they may reveal some clues.  Boot order especially, it may be trying to boot from USB or ?.

#6 Jarod1

Jarod1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

It looks like things may have gotten a bit scrambled, so my first check would be the CMOS battery.  Past that, check out the setup and boot menu's as they may reveal some clues.  Boot order especially, it may be trying to boot from USB or ?.

I looked in my computer and it said my battery is a cr2032 3v hitachi maxell. I looked it up and obviously there are other manufacturers; it won't be a problem if I use one of the other suppliers right? I never removed/installed this item before so I want to be sure. Like here;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-ECR2032BP-Energizer-2032-3V-Lithium-Battery-1-Pack/14915196

Edited by Jarod1, 10 October 2014 - 12:51 PM.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yes, as long as the type  CR2032 is on the battery.  Note the position, as there is a positive and negative.  The top of the cell ha a big plus stamped on it and is usually in the UP position.  This process, replacing the battery will reset the units  BIOS settings to system default.  It should take you directly to the BIOS setup when powered after replacement.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

Let us know how it went. At any rate, run the Dell diagnostic test in BIOS menu or check the hard drive is detected atleast.

Tekken

#9 Jarod1

Jarod1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

Well I got the battery and I was curious to see if the computer would turn on before I installed it and miraculously... the computer turned on like nothing wrong happened before the issue. So I don't know but if it happens again, I know what to do I guess. Thank you for the advice everybody has given me though.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:05 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users