Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ati/creative Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aude.scire

aude.scire

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:36 AM

Let me begin by saying that in the short day and a half that I have had Windows Vista, I already hate it with a passion. Over $300 worth of hardware is just sitting in my computer because Vista cannot figure out what to do with it, and I cannot figure out how to tell Vista what to do with it. The User Account Control feature drives me insane. Yes, Vista, I am aware that I have a recurring error message that I have not yet figured out the source of, there is really no need to keep bringing up something that logs me out of Windows just to show me something I already know. I won't even get started on the slowness of response times (which I have a fairly good idea could be at least partially attributed to the lack of hardware response mentioned above). However, I have come too far with this to simply go back to XP. After around 6 solid hours of trying to find proper drivers that will install, I'm ready to scream. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 All-In-Wonder graphics card and a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card. Vista recognizes the graphics, but sees the sound simply as a Multimedia Audio Device. It says it has drivers for the sound card, but when it goes to install them, the install times out. It doesnt even have drivers for the ATI card, so I downloaded some from the ATI website, but when I tried to install it, I got halfway through the process and was given an error message that says another instance of an installer is running and I should finish that one first. There is no other installer running. After all this is corrected, I will work on defeating the "interactive services dialog detection," which is what I imagine technological hell will be like.

My computer:

AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 All-In-Wonder
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
80 GB Hard Disk (42 GB free)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KSerge

KSerge

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:16 PM

Different strokes, I guess. I installed Vista Beta 2 build 5384 about a week ago, and I've had fairly trouble-free experience. All but my creative SB Audigy2 ZS were recognized right away, and creative and nvidia both had Vista-ready drivers that work just fine. So far everything I've installed works normally (with minor exceptions due to XP/Vista differences).

Oh, and definitely disable UAC in the Control Panel > User Accounts section ASAP. It blew my mind how many times I had to approve just the deletion of a single file. With UAC off it's just like XP was, I say delete, it asks, then deletes, just like that. My only qualm now is that there's no way I can get the security monitor taskbar icon to go away (it's complaining about a lack of anti-virus software, and the disabled UAC bit).

#3 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:17 AM

i installed vista beta 2 and my printer wouldnt install and my lightscribe software didnt work if could get them to work i would reinstall it i liked it very much and i will definately buy the ful version

#4 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

I dont mean to offend anyone so If I do, sorry in advance.

Beta versions are NOT full versions. They are put out there to allow people to get the 'feel' for the software, and to see if there are any bugs.

People do expect too much from them, and install them on their main system and expect everything to be working perfectly. If they did, why would anybody buy the full version?

The main gripe is that drivers are not available;- Well they wont be and to be honest its not really Microsofts fault. The hardware manufacturers themselves are the ones that provide the drivers. If they start to provide drivers for the beta versions then they will inherently have to support their drivers on an operating system which at best is not finished.

If you like the look of Vista, and all the gadgets (which most people do) and try not to judge it on speed and accept that lack of drivers mean that you cant really judge it on speed or performance yet you might find you like it.

If you read reviews of XP in its beta stage, and even up to SP1 you'd see more or less the same comments that people are making about Vista. But for me, not having to restart my computer three times daily after a blue screen of death was enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users