Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you need an OS to install Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

I downloaded Windows 10, put it on DVD and now I bought a new hard drive. So can I just load Windows 10 on a new hard drive. Will it boot from the DVD and just load or do I need an OS to begin with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

as long as its and ISO on the cd you can load it right onto the hard drive. windows 10 is not complete just so you know. their will be things that do not work or dont have yet

#3 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

I won't get my new hard drive until tomorrow so all I need to do is remove one wire and disconnect another and I have my old OS back and that's the reason for the new hard drive, so it won't matter how messed up it becomes which is a learning way to do it without hurting anything.

#4 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

I downloaded Windows 10, put it on DVD and now I bought a new hard drive. So can I just load Windows 10 on a new hard drive. Will it boot from the DVD and just load or do I need an OS to begin with?

You have only downloaded the ISO....Install new hard drive and open up Disk Management to Format it then convert to NTFS and give DRIVE another new volume letter....then install ISO and follow instructions making sure you install onto NEW HARD DRIVE......Keep both drives connected and as they will have different letter drives you will have dual option to either on starting up your computer

Edited by calden, 08 October 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#5 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

I put my install on a new, unused SSD.  Unplugged all the other drives, plugged in the new SSD, booted up with the ISO DVD in the drive and Win10 preview installed.  So far all is well and it is running all programs I've installed.  At the moment it's acting more like a final release than a preview, but, I reckon that could change in an eye blink.  Putting the preview on its own drive is the way to go since you will probably use it without going back to your previous OS. 

#6 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

I put my install on a new, unused SSD.  Unplugged all the other drives, plugged in the new SSD, booted up with the ISO DVD in the drive and Win10 preview installed.  So far all is well and it is running all programs I've installed.  At the moment it's acting more like a final release than a preview, but, I reckon that could change in an eye blink.  Putting the preview on its own drive is the way to go since you will probably use it without going back to your previous OS. 

That is what I plan to do. What way nothing can damage what you already have. Tomorrow will tell.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

I would advise you to run the Compatibility Test for your current / new system, unless using a V/Machine.

This is unless you are installing directly over a Windows 8.1 system, then also read around the many sites for "installing Windows 10" and do not just jump in without looking.

quietman7 has already told us (and other sites also list this) that M/soft asks you to agree to installing their Keylogger program as part of the system, so they can track your online and offline movements. This is all part of the estimated (almost) 4G ISO download, and the Technical Preview for Enterprise is just over a 4G download

It is new and polished, but after 6 months, when the trial ends, will you be asked to purchase, or it will just be uninstalled ??

Windows install "Genuine Key" is given as NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR.

#8 Marcel1600

Marcel1600

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:06 AM

Hello,

You can boot from the Windows 10 DVD, without another operating system. And you don't have to format your harddisk before starting the installation wizard.

Remember that the Windows 10 Technical Preview license is ended somewhere in 2015, you have to upgrade after. This is because WIndows 10 is not in production (RTM) but only for testing.

You can see some screenshots en my experience on:

http://www.peopleware.nl/posts/windows-10-preview-features

Succes

Marcel

#9 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Just make sure bios is set to boot from disc drive before HD and you're fine

#10 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

I installed as a dual boot and it's working fine.  I did have to go into Control Panel > System > Advanced Settings > Startup and Recovery and set default OS to Windows 8.1 when it booted up because 10 started up with no screen to choose an operating system.  Once I did that, the screen came up on reboot and 8.1 is the default that starts up automatically.  If I want 10, I have to choose it from the menu..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users