Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trace an Email to a receiving IP address

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

If i sent an email, is there any way to find out the IP address it will be delivered to at its end point.

For example I have a company with onsite Microsoft Exchange and a public facing IP address. The MX entries for this domain link to a system called Barracuda, for those that dont know  it is just a spam filter system, any mail sent in goes to barracuda, and assuming it is not spam it is then send to the external facing IP address of the company and into exchange. 

With a setup as above, is there a tool online that i can type the company domain into and have it trace the route to the exchange server and give me each IP result from each hop?

Thanks very much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

If you know the name of the email server, you can open up a command prompt and type in tracert mailservername. If you want to save the results to a file, type tracert mailservername > C:/path_to_where_you_want_to_save_file.txt.

If you don't know the name of their mail server, you can go to mxtoolbox.com and type in the company's domain name. It will return the name of the mailserver as listed in their DNS MX records.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users