Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential infection? CPU winds up for no reason.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 D&S+14

D&S+14

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

Hi, I have no reason to believe that I'm infected, as I don't download programs and fire them up, but I just have a feeling that I have an infection.  My CPU will be sitting there and then suddenly fire up to 27, 30, 50 sometimes even 100%.  I lose control of the ability to minimize, maximize, close windows, etc. Sometimes it just locks up for a few seconds.

I've run the ESET scanner and it found some programs that I think were false positives, but I quarantined them anyway.  I've run AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal TOol, MalwareBytes, McAffee & Avast Antivirus and TDSS Killer, and they find nothing.  Does my computer just have a problem getting on in years, or do I have an infection?  I'd run Minitoolbox but I don't know how to interpret the log..

Many thanks!

Edited by D&S+14, 08 October 2014 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
NOTE. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 users right click on procexp.exe, click "Run As Administrator".
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.

Upload the file(s) here: http://www.sendspace.com/
Click on Browse button and navigate to the file you want to upload.
Click on Upload button.
Click on FIRST Copy Link button and paste the link in your next reply.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

Okay, here is the link --> https://www.sendspace.com/file/36mk13

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

System Idle Process (CPU NOT used) is listed at 96.30% so I don't see any high CPU usage.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

System Idle Process (CPU NOT used) is listed at 96.30% so I don't see any high CPU usage.

I know, that's the strange part, it comes and goes.  But thank you for looking into this.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

Try to run Process Explorer when you see CPU actually spiking.

My Website

#7 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

It looks like perhaps McAfee is eating CPU processes.  Best I can figure.  Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users