Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picasa Updater group policy errors even when not installed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hlauren

hlauren

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

I used to have Google Picasa on my computer, and several months ago I started getting errors between 1-5 times a day (with no prompting from any of my actions, as far as I can tell).

The error always reads: "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

The title says: "C:\Users\H*****\AppData\Local\Temp\PicasaUpdater_3a22.exe"

This is always the same except the last part (3a22 in this case) changes to different random numbers and letters. I can go into the folder and delete the EXE file, but they will still come back (as new "clones").

I haven't been able to find any information on Google or Picasa forums so far. I have completely uninstalled Picasa, and fixed registry issues with CCleaner, but that has not helped either. I already posted elsewhere on Bleeping Computer and ruled out a virus as the issue, so now I'm posting here.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:50 PM

Well, PicasaUpdater is probably a different app from the actual Picasa image suite. While Picasa itself may be removed,,, apparently the updater program hasn't been. IOW, search for PicasaUpdater, not Picasa.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

Try disabling the Group Policy.

Click on the Start orb, they type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd or Commad will appear in the results.  Right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

Copy the command below, then paste it in the command prompt, then press Enter.

REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC\{8FC0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-0000F87571E3}" /v Restrict_Run /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Type exit, then press Enter to close the command prompt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hlauren

hlauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

Unfortunately, changing the registry didn't help. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

#5 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

I used to have Google Picasa on my computer, and several months ago I started getting errors between 1-5 times a day (with no prompting from any of my actions, as far as I can tell).

The error always reads: "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

This is always the same except the last part (3a22 in this case) changes to different random numbers and letters. I can go into the folder and delete the EXE file, but they will still come back (as new "clones").

I haven't been able to find any information on Google or Picasa forums so far. I have completely uninstalled Picasa, and fixed registry issues with CCleaner, but that has not helped either. I already posted elsewhere on Bleeping Computer and ruled out a virus as the issue, so now I'm posting here.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

Anyone have any ideas?

Well it's interesting because "Home" can't be added to a domain: it's not possible. So for it to be a policy it would have to be a local policy that someone initiated which is unlikely but not impossible. However, I also find it interesting it's looking in AppData which there is a policy that is designed to prevent access to that to avoid the Crypto Virus. 

Here is the details:

Did you do anything of this nature?

Ironically I found a link associated to the forum (go figure): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#6 hlauren

hlauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

Just to be clear, are you asking if I initiated a local policy? I'm not sure what that means, or how I would have done that (intentionally or accidentally).

I looked at the link for the CryptoVirus that you added, but I don't know what I'm supposed to learn from that. I've never gotten an indication that I have the virus. I've also done a scan of my computer for viruses and come up with nothing. Here is my previous thread on Bleeping Computer in which I did the scan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550690/picasa-updater-blocked-by-group-policy-error/ 

#7 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

The Crypto Virus link was what people do to prevent access to the AppData. I could be barking up the wrong tree but what you posted made me think of that:

Plus taking your first line and running Google search (This program is blocked by group policy)also pushes it in that direction but not to say that is the cause but that alone I would have start there. Again since it's a "Home" version of the OS I doubt it's a GPO unless you enabled it which you said you didn't. Might be completely wrong then. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Please do the following.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear in the results above the search box, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the commands below in the Command Promt one at a time followed by pressing Enter after each command.

diskpart, and press Enter

list volume, and press Enter.

For the following you will need to know the drive letter for the hdd or partition which the operating system is installed on. In most cases it is C: drive.

In the command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter.
NOTE: Substitute C: in the command below with your drive letter if C: isn't your drive letter.

Copy and paste the two commands below, follow each command with Enter

RD /S /Q C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy

RD /S /Q C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicyUsers

Type exit in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

This will reset the Local Group Policy Editor to its default settings.

Restart your computer.

Edited by dc3, 15 October 2014 - 10:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 hlauren

hlauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

I'm still getting the error several times a day.

Even if the group policy would allow the installation to work, what is trying to be installed in the first place? As far as I can tell, I don't have any Picasa products on my computer that I can find.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 October 2014 - 06:12 PM.
Moved to 'Am I infected?'

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

Go to this Picasa website and go to part 2 Remove your Picasa2Albums folder and follow the instructions there.

#11 hlauren

hlauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I tried to follow the instructions for Windows Vista (because I have 7 and there are no specific instructions for 7), and as far as I can detect, I have now uninstalled all Google Picasa programs and deleted all folders in the AppData folders and picasa.ini files. However, the errors are still coming back.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Since this was moved to "Am I infected?" (which was previously ruled out) I opened a new topic in Windows 7--link below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562195/picasa-error-messages-even-when-uninstalled/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users