Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A bit of trivia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'm just curious to learn......

What is a hard drive disc made out of? Is it just plastic like a plastic CD, or is it some kind of metal?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:38 PM

Platters are typically made using an aluminum or glass and ceramic substrate. In disk manufacturing, a thin coating is deposited on both sides of the substrate, mostly by a vacuum deposition process called magnetron sputtering.

Quote From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive_platter

The few I've torn apart over the years had aluminum core platters. With hard layers of some material coating them. They make awesome signal mirrors and with a pair of shears can be made into some pretty... Ummmm Nevermind.... :P

The stupidity of youth struck, what can I say... That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

They make awesome signal mirrors and with a pair of shears can be made into some pretty... Ummmm Nevermind

Seems you are not alone Animal.

10 Unique & Practical Ways to Repurpose Your Old Hard ...

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

If you have an IBM drive, chances are the platter will be constructed of glass.  They shatter if twisted/bent

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

I've never seen any glass platters.  I've resurrected hundreds in a clean room and not seen anything but aluminum with a silcone coating and the magnetic medium suspended in the coating.  Really good at keeping birds and vermin out of the yard when hung in the sunlight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users