Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No visuals on the screen / PC is making dubstep

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crogues

Crogues

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hey there,

Wasn't quite sure on where to post this, but since it is an issue on visuals and I have a fairly old card, I assumed my issue could be GPU related. If not, please move this thread to the appropriate location.

Anyway, I will cut short:

I had a problem with my computer a few months ago. As in, nothing was appearing on the screen while it started, nothing at all. Everything else seemed okay, fans were working fine, lighting was in place, just no image on the screen. 

I was able to get it working when I used a VGA cable instead of DVI, but I had to use my motherboard GPU as my GTX 460 doesn't support VGA. In any case, the guys in the shop said it was a motherboard issue, I switched it to a new one, and had no problems for months.

And since last week, it started again. It's been doing it for days. The weird thing is, the image disappears from the screen during games and other stuff too now, in addition to the start up process.

The even weirder thing is, when the screen goes black, my speakers start doing dubstep. No, literally dubstep. A bunch of very loud, and not so loud noises of electrical nature bunched up together. It goes off when I shut the speakers down, and starts back up again when I turn them on during the visual-disappearance thing. Fans are working with no issue at all.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 840
Gskill Ripjaws DDR-3 1333 4GB
Leadtek GTX 460 1GB OC Edition
MSI Military Class 990XA-GD55 Motherboard
550W PSU that came with the Gigabyte Chasis case 4 years ago.
Cooler Master processor fan

That's about it, feel free to share your thoughts, I would be glad to hear anything helpful.

Edited by Crogues, 07 October 2014 - 09:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

First, update your video drivers and see if it keeps happening.

#3 Crogues

Crogues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

They are currently up to date, I install new drivers whenever the Geforce Experience prompts me to.

Edited by Crogues, 08 October 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

Is it always in the same game? You could try disabling some fancy graphics settings. (Or try other games to find out if its some special bug in a specific game)

How are your temperatures?

Is there a bios upgrade for your motherboard that may help?

#5 Crogues

Crogues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:21 AM

No, not always the same game. I play a variety of stuff, and even less demanding games like Hearthstone cause this problem. Sometimes 5 minutes later, sometimes an hour, and on occasion, I pass a day without an incident. That being said, no bug could cause a comple hardware shutdown like this, the worst case scenario would be a freeze.

CPU temparatures are quite fine since I installed a Cooler Master fan a few months ago, GPU usually does not get past 80, which is again fine for a GTX 400 series.

My BIOS is currently up to date, that was my first thought as well.

The best suggestion I've got was that my 4 years old 550W PSU may have worn out the system, or at least my graphics card by now; since as i said, it is the same PSU that came built-in my Gigabyte case. Apparently, I was supposed to throw it away and buy a decent one, don't know for sure.

I have a very limited budget, and I can make very, very few replacements. I don't want to just buy new stuff without pinpointing where the problem lies, so I'm at a complete loss.

Edited by Crogues, 11 October 2014 - 02:23 AM.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Do you have access to another video card, even a not great one that could play those games? Especially if you are able to reproduce the problem.

I bet that the problem is a bad video card, like bad video ram. I don't know if there is a testing software for that or not.

#7 Crogues

Crogues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

I see, I will try to find a card and get back to this topic when I can.

Thank you for the assistance mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users