Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion - Is it theoretically possible to be 100% private on the Internet?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

I am curious what folks think of this question:  Can an individual who has never had an on-line presence but wants to start using the Internet & the web be 100% private using the restrictions in the list below? Let's treat this as a theoretical question - in reality this is probably not practical, but I am curious what folks think.

No on-line shopping 
no on-line banking 
no on-line accounts that contain any personal information 
no reservations made on-line 
never use your name on-line 
no social media 
no information in the cloud 
surf the web anonymously (anonymous browser such as TOR or use a VPN) 
no smartphone 
no devices that contain GPS (camera, phone etc.)
do not allow your name to be published with any company or organization that may place your name on a publicly available web site or in a document published on a publicly available web site

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

That sounds pretty much like my browsing PC that I use at home for forums and downloading.

I dunno if it provides 100% anonymity/privacy. But short of adding a socks5 proxy with the VPN and controlling a 3rd party machine via remote administration there is little more you can do.

As far as I know...

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

there are levels of anonymity, at the lowest a casual ordinary unskilled internet user can't connect your real identity to your online one (or vice-versa), at the highest several governements throwing together all thier resources would be unable to track you. But there is no such thing as utterly anonymous, there are ways to make things very hard for a wuld be tracker/snooper but in the end for every way of hiding there is a way to find someone. many levels of anonymity would allow an individual to be anonymous to the point of "it isn't worth trying to track him down because the effort involved is huge and the gains from doing so are tiny" but because technoogy is always changing nothing can be asumed anonymous in the entirety. One day a quantum computer may break encryption that relies on prime factorisation, when this is done every secret in exisitence now will either need re-encrypting in another way or it would quickly become common knowledge. Also a single trcking organistaion/entity which was able to view the majority of the internet at once could track you even with a perfect proxy/vpn/tor chain and highly effective encryption, just by looking at timings and the size of data packets. Once again secrets or anonymity cannot ever be considered absolute, just good enough for task. Also consider that for high anonymity a user wouldn't need to have no internet presence, they would just need to make sure their anonymous online identity was set up ENTIRELY separately from their real online identity, and then they could enver allow the two identities to be closely linked or to type posts with similar grammatical patterns. Even if it were technically possible to be 100% anonymous against all technological ways of being tracked there is still the matter of what you do, algorithms are being developed that look at subtle patterns in user's sentence structure, grammatical use or timing habits, thye aren't reliable yet but soon thye will be.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

And in theory, how do you connect to the Internet?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

Achieving this might make you 'best of the best' :)

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

And in theory, how do you connect to the Internet?

A stealth installed router/wireless access point on an unsuspecting neighbour. In theory. :lmao:

other ideas?

Edited by TsVk!, 08 October 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Generate a random MAC address for your WiFi NIC.

Prevent any code execution (like Javascript) and all kind of cookies in your browser when you use TOR.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

And only browse from a live OS image.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

No on-line shopping 
no on-line banking 
no on-line accounts that contain any personal information 
no reservations made on-line 
never use your name on-line 
no social media 
no information in the cloud 
surf the web anonymously (anonymous browser such as TOR or use a VPN) 
no smartphone 
no devices that contain GPS (camera, phone etc.)
do not allow your name to be published with any company or organization that may place your name on a publicly available web site or in a document published on a publicly available web site

Okay for the sake of argument. Lets say it is theoretically possible given you criteria. The question in my mind becomes, why would you want to? You wouldn't be able to accomplish anything very meaningful in my opinion.

I realize this is a theoretical situation. I'm just wondering why bother?

Just because I can. Doesn't satisfy my appetite to want to see if this is possible in this case.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

I realize this is a theoretical situation. I'm just wondering why bother?

How else are you supposed to buy nitrogen based fertilizer online?

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

BellyLaugh.gif

But also see limitation #1 in the list........ :P

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

Animal: Just because I can. Doesn't satisfy my appetite to want to see if this is possible in this case.

In my experience, some folk are far more courageous when they are anonymous ;)

I believe that could explain the why.

And as for one 'online presence', clearly a person would need more than one. And once you go there then it don't sound quite so noble.

Edited by palerider2, 09 October 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#13 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

Thank you everyone for a good discussion. As I said in my original post, this was a theoretical question, definitely not practical.

Thanks again!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users