Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will not load page when on wifi hot spot.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Trucky911

Trucky911

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

I have a 3 year old Acer Aspire 5740-5513. Windows 7. Visiting my wife at her new job in Kentucky I could connect to the wifi that her work (Hospital) lets her use but I could not get on the internet. It says "trouble loading page" for Fire Fox and Internet explorer. I Stayed at a Hampton Inn the first night there and the wifi and internet worked fine. Her computer works fine with the hospital wifi. I called Comcast and they said I need to talk to the hospital's server (AT&T). They told me to talk to Comcast or my DNS server. I'm back home and every thing is working fine. Any ideas whats going on?

TIA

Trucky911

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2014 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

Are you talking about a 1-time instance...or a recurring situation?

What happened in Kentucky isn't important, IMO...are you connecting properly now?

FWIW

Louis

#3 Trucky911

Trucky911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:46 PM

Are you talking about a 1-time instance...or a recurring situation?

What happened in Kentucky isn't important, IMO...are you connecting properly now?

FWIW

Louis

Thanks for your reply Louis, this happens when I am at my wifes place in Kentucky, twice now. And yes I am connecting here at home (Michigan)......

Edited by Trucky911, 08 October 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

In the link that hamluis posted, it may be that the Hospital is using a proxy server.

#5 Trucky911

Trucky911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

In the link that hamluis posted, it may be that the Hospital is using a proxy server.

Don't know what the hospital is using. Next time i visit her and it is still doing it, do you think asking the hospital will help?..

Thanks for the replys....

Trucky911

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:16 PM

They may but if your wife connects with no problem you can check if her computer is using proxy server by opening IE and checking under options the connections tab. It should show a proxy server if her computer uses one. Look for a proxy address and the port number.

http://customers.trustedproxies.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=38

#7 Trucky911

Trucky911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

Thank you JohnC_21. I'll look into this the next time I go see her...

Trucky911

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

There are many ways to prevent, or allow only certain machines, on a wireless network.

Is your wife's computer a work computer or her personal computer?

Is this the hospital's network or the hospital's guest network?

Some wireless solutions require you to agree to a usage agreement.  Normally you try and go to a web page and you are routed to the agreement page.

#9 Trucky911

Trucky911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hey Kilroy, its my wifes personal computer and it's the hospital guest network. I dont remember a user agreement. When I try to go to the inter net via Firefox or IE a message (page will not load) comes up. I also get an email error that I can't remember what it is.....

Trucky911

#10 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

This is something that must be troubleshooted while there.

By testing connection using a browser leaves too many unanswered questions. I rule this out within a minute by doing the following

1. Connect to the wireless network.

2. Ping the gateway

3. Ping an external IP 8.8.8.8

4. Ping www.google.com

Depending of 2-4 fail will tell you quickly where the issue is. But I can tell you this considering I deal with hospitals a lot: they are very much locked-down. So if you are trying to get around their security, well..you know what I will say after that. Your best bet is to include their support or/and inquiry what their policies are when using THEIR wireless.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#11 Trucky911

Trucky911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

I was back in KY back in January at my wifes new place and it is still doing the same thing. She now has a differnt cable hook up. She is now with Inter Mountian Cable. I still can't conect to the internet. I am conected to her WIFI but it still comes up "page will not load" when I try to get on the internet. When I get back to Michigan every thing works. I'm stumped. Any one got any ideas? TIA....

Trucky911

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users