Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selling my PC and need to know how to wipe data

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 huhwtf

huhwtf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

I have used 3 pass DOD wiping with dban boot and nuke.

Is this a thorough enough wipe? I read on dbans site that

http://www.dban.org/node/50
Are you absolutely sure that DBAN works properly?

No.

There are several situations in which a DBAN failure could go unnoticed:

• DBAN may fail to detect a hard disk in a computer with many hard disks. You must check whether DBAN actually detected all hard disks in a computer.
  • Your hardware caches writes or otherwise does not implement a functional write barrier. This is likely to happen with battery-backed large-memory RAID controllers or defective hard disks.
  • Somebody with a lot of time, money, and brains needs to recover your data.
  • The software that you downloaded could be bugged or trojaned. (Did you check the PGP signature?)

Users should be aware that there are professional wiping solutions that do guarantee 100% data sanitization of all your IT assets. These solutions are completely secure and well trusted. Once erased, the data cannot be recovered with any existing technology.

It is a mechanical drive not an SSD.  Thanks.

Edited by huhwtf, 07 October 2014 - 05:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Unless you think the person you sell to is willing to spend thousands of dollars to try to recover your

design for a motor that only uses water.....then yes it is enough.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 huhwtf

huhwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

I had nekkid pics of the Mrs. on there.  Don't want to see them on the net some day.

Edited by huhwtf, 07 October 2014 - 06:27 PM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

dban should certainly be enough, but for real peace of mind I suggest a sledge hammer. Hurts the resale value though.

#5 huhwtf

huhwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

I decided to use Active Kill disk DOD 7 pass on it today just to be safe.  I just hope there aren't secret places that Lenovo writes to that can't be wiped.  seems like everyone is spying on us

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

There are two possible other locations on the drive that may not have been deleted. I do not know if Active Kill disk erases these areas. I doubt there would be any user data in them. A linux disk using the hdparm command could erase these but you have to be very careful with it. I believe Parted Magic also uses the internal ATA erase command that later drives have. Last free version of Parted Magic is here and included the hdparm command available at a terminal prompt.

#7 huhwtf

huhwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

damn, I was afraid of that.  I don't think it's worth $99.00 to lose sleep over someone recovering my data for the past 2 years. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

What $99 dollars are you talking about? Everything I linked to is open source.

#9 huhwtf

huhwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

the amount he is going to pay for my PC is $99

I just found BCwipe total wipeout that wipes dco and hpa, downloading now

Edited by huhwtf, 08 October 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#10 huhwtf

huhwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

I burned the free Parted Magic to CD and verified it but it wont boot.  I burned a CD the same way with Active Killdisk and it booted fine.

:scratchhead:

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

That's unusual. I never had a problem booting that version even on an old computer. You burned the version I linked to, correct? It may have been a bad download. I don't know what system you have but if it's a dell you can tap F12 at boot to bring up the boot menu and select the optical drive. Is the computer OEM or custom built?

Another option is to boot via USB. Download Rufus and opt out of any update check. Select iso image in the drop down box and click the Folder icon. Browse to the PartedMagic iso. Click start. Any data on the USB flash drive will be erased.

#12 huhwtf

huhwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

The CD will boot in my new Optiplex 9020 but the Lenovo H415 will not boot, it just hangs.  I read that some motherboard's wont allow access to HPA or DCO?

found this quote

in many situations to sanitize a hard drive but have found that most motherboard BIOS’s prevent access by something called a freeze lock or something to that effect

Edited by huhwtf, 08 October 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

I think frozen related to a BIOS password.

See this for more info. There are other Live CD's that have hdparm but I will have to check out which ones. I read where you can also unfreeze a drive in a desktop by unattached the SATA data and power cable and then reattaching while the computer is on but this is something you need to be careful of.

System Rescue CD has hdparm. You would type it at the prompt.

Edit see the last post in this thread.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 October 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#14 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

If you are this worried about it, that you ran dban and still worried, just sell him the computer without the hd.

#15 huhwtf

huhwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

I got BCWIPE to boot and it is doing a 3 pass wipe and it says it includes HPA and DCO. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users