Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud storage for Mint 13

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hi everyone. Not sure I'm posting this in the correct place, but I'm going to use it on my main Mint 13 machine.

I hated to see Ubuntu One end because it worked perfectly for me - I have a lot of pics I don't want to lose should my computer crash. I don't want to use Dropbox, so one I'm looking into now is SpiderOak. They say it is similar to Ubunu One, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I'm also open to any other suggestions. No hurry, I have a ton of folder organization/cleanup to do before I commit to one.

Thank you,

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

i use google drive and one drive. as well as adrive.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

Thank you Cheesemaker - I'll take a look at those.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

Mate I was using Copy, found, surprisingly enough here.

Seeing your request has reminded me to reactivate it, as I had it previously on my Ubuntu Trusty Tahr, and on Windows 7, prior to that.

If you use my referral system here, and follow Copy's instructions you can score another 5GB at a time on top of their generous free 15GB. But's that up you, I am quite happy with 15GB so far.

I find them to be very user friendly, and the download to your PC approach allows for drag-and-drop instant application to the Cloud, and also syncing between PCs on your Network.

A review of them can be found here, and it also includes referral from the author.And that article also lists on the right 5 other services, including your SpiderOak option.

This site, How This Works, also has info.

Last, but not least, 1 more Tech Blog lists 10 top options, just to confuse you, lol.

Good luck in your Mission!

Wizard

Edited by wizardfromoz, 07 October 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thank you wizard. The main thing I do on my computer is record vids of Eagle nests and post them on various sites. I grab tons of pics from the vids for reference, so I surely don't want to lose them.

Actually, one nest I follow is at Olympic Park in Sydney - the White Bellied Sea Eagles.

Looks like SpiderOak gives only 2 GB free - then major $$$ for more. I'm eliminating that one.

I still have a lot of folder organization to do before I start uploading to a cloud app - so I'll keep you updated.

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi. Just wanted tollow up on my post. I wound up using Copy, works great for me - thanks wizard.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

You are most welcome, and tks for using the referral.

I read somewhere on the Net sometime around answering your question of a bloke who has, say a blog page, or some other visible presence - he has something like 280 GB free storage with them now from referrals.

Crikey! You could put a good-sized HDD up there! :hysterical:

Later

Wiz

#8 emailman

emailman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hi Keith1, may I ask why you don't want to use Dropbox? Just curious.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hi emailman, if you have not already had same

:welcome: to BC

Hope you enjoy your stay here half as much as I do/have done.

Neither you nor Keith1 is online at time of writing, and it is Keith's Topic, so I will not answer for him unless invited to add details.

Keep Smilin' :wink:

Wizard :wizardball:

BTW - 2hrs behind me, is that WA?

Edit - BTW line

Edited by wizardfromoz, 22 October 2014 - 12:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users